Did you mean: 

Upload speed low

warmbells
Grafter

Upload speed low

Hi,
I've just done a BT speedtest and got the following results:-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 29.64 Mbps-37.05 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 37.05 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.33Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
The data has been sent to the server.
Gerald Bramwell
15 REPLIES 15
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Upload speed low

Try the Thinkbroadband tester.  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html ;
Some testers (including the BT Wholwsale one) understate upload speed, sometimes quite severely.  I'm not quite sure why.  At one time I had some testers estimating 4 or so upload when I was actually getting 18 or so.
It may well not be the tester, but worth trying.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your upload sync is at 7.2Mbps which is around what I'd expect based on the estimates for your line. Around the time of the speedtest we saw quite a chunk of upload usage on your line, can you ensure that anything doing backups, uploads etc is stopped and try another speedtest?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi, I've just added to an older post that my uplink speed has dropped in the last two days, about 3mbps, and I'm puzzled as to why.
In my experience the uplink is normally rock solid and reliable as an indicator of connection health. If I lose speed on the downlink, but the uplink stays put, I can be pretty sure that the slower Downlink is traffic related.
warmbells
Grafter

Quote from: sjptd
Try the Thinkbroadband tester.  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html ;  
Some testers (including the BT Wholwsale one) understate upload speed, sometimes quite severely.  I'm not quite sure why.  At one time I had some testers estimating 4 or so upload when I was actually getting 18 or so.
It may well not be the tester, but worth trying.

Hi sjptd,
Have just don a thinkbroadband test and got these results:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1434196765626755355
Gerald
Chris
Legend

Similar question to my previous post really, there was around 1GB upload traffic between 11 and 12, was anything else running when you did the line test?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elfish
Grafter

Shocked
Burst of around 81Mbps near the end of the test is strange. Are you connecting via wireless? That anomaly maybe due to some sort of buffering/anti-virus program.
Try the alternative speed test here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
With regards to other devices using the connection, I had a Android mobile that would in the background, backup all the videos and images without me knowing. If you have any mobile devices connected, check to see if they are doing any backing up.
warmbells
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Your upload sync is at 7.2Mbps which is around what I'd expect based on the estimates for your line. Around the time of the speedtest we saw quite a chunk of upload usage on your line, can you ensure that anything doing backups, uploads etc is stopped and try another speedtest?

Just done another test as follows:-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 28.81 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 29.64 Mbps-37.05 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 37.05 Mbp
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.01Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
The only time my usage monitor showed more than about10.00kbits was when it was doing the upload test.
Gerald
Chris
Legend

@warmbells
I can't see any issues other than the upload usage, between 1 and 2pm when you did that test there was 850MB of upload traffic. If there was none at the time of doing the test it might be worth reporting a fault to us.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My upload speed dropped about 3Mbps last week, as I posted earlier here. Overnight, its lost at least .5Mbps seemingly. Less than a week ago, I was getting about 15mbps Up, today I'm getting barely 10Mbps it seems. That's some reduction, not a blip, and there has to be a reason for it, doesn't there.
elfish
Grafter

Are you undertaking these tests wirelessly?
What modem are you running?
warmbells
Grafter

Ethernet cable from router to PC
Router is Technicolor TG582n FTTC Fibre with BT modem
Adie:quote
elfish
Grafter

Is the BT modem a ECI or Huawei?
It may be worth also checking what make of DSLAM you are connecting to. See link below:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm
There are known issues with inter-compatibility between the makes of equipment used.
You may of been hit with the G.INP 'fix'.
warmbells
Grafter

It is ECI, I don't know what cabinet yet only that it is cabinet 11 on the Swinton, Greater Manchester exchange,
Strange that only last year I was getting only abt 27Mg download but 8 Mg upload.
dick:quote
lf2k
Grafter

A quick look on magsys shows you're on a Huawei cabinet using an ECI modem - this is likely to be caused by the GINP issue elfish mentioned.
You can either wait for it to improve on its own (no guarantee it will) or see if another router/modem will improve the situation... Sad