cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed less than half the line profile

MickGardner
Dabbler

Upload speed less than half the line profile

Can't complain about download speed but the upload speed is less than half the prpfile for my connection: 7-8mbps instead of 20.

8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Upload speed less than half the line profile

@MickGardner  The upload profile on VDSL2 (FTTC) is fixed at the maximum speed for the product i.e. 10 Mbps or 20 Mbps and does not change. The speed you achieve is entirely dependent on the modem/router sync speed and is not controlled by the profile.

Details of your router connection stats would help to establish if your somewhat low upload speed could be improved. If you are using the Hub1 I believe these are on the router Help desk page but I'm not familiar with the device so can't offer more help.

MickGardner
Dabbler

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MickGardner That's what I wanted to see but it just confirms a low upload speed with the correct SNR margin of 6dB, the download speed is looking good but that has a reduced SNRM which improves the speed, that doesn't happen on the upload.

With those attenuation figures you must be quite close to the FTTC cabinet so I would expect better speeds, what modem /router are you using because those stats do not look like the Hub1 page.

Try this checker to see what speeds are expected for your phone number, but blank out your number in the result.....

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

MickGardner
Dabbler

I'm using an Archer VR400 router - I replaced the Plusnet supplied one as the WiFi was unreliable.

MickGardner
Dabbler

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@MickGardner 

I assume that you are testing your speed over an Ethernet cable and not wireless?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MickGardner
Dabbler

Yes, I am.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @MickGardner,

I've tested your line this morning and whilst everything is running at a rate we'd expect and we wouldn't consider this to be a fault, things are towards the lower end of the expected speeds. The testing hasn't indicated why this might be the case, so it may be worth running through our troubleshooting steps here and here, to see if these make any difference. If the speed seems to deteriorate at all, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team