Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed dropped, latency increased, noise on phone line

christ
Grafter

Upload speed dropped, latency increased, noise on phone line

Hi there,
Over the last week or so, I have noticed increased latency whilst playing multiplayer games on my Xbox. Today I found it almost impossible to use the home phone because of the "fuzzy" noise both I and the person at the other end of the line could hear.
These two things got me doing some testing.
I can see that my download speed is where it should be at around 38Mb/s, but my upload speed has dropped significantly to around 8Mb/s (about half what I would expect). Despite this, both upstream and downstream seem very stable (i.e. no wild fluctuations).
In addition to the drop in upload speed, I can see my ping is higher than it used to be. Whereas I was usually able to achieve around 21ms (often better) I am now getting about 31ms to places like google.com or bbc.co.uk.
Here's a selection of recent results from Speedtest.net (the results with download speeds of around 5Mb/s can be ignored - I was probably messing around when I ran those tests).

So, I was wondering if someone might be able to pull up the stats for my connection and let me know if something has changed in recent weeks?
In testing, I plugged my laptop into the Openreach modem and created a new PPPOE connection, and found this made no difference - still 38Mb/s down, 8Mb/s up and 30ms ping.
Many thanks,
Chris
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Upload speed dropped, latency increased, noise on phone line

To be honest I wouldn't even be looking at the speeds at the moment whilst there's noise on the phone line. Until that's resolved you're unlikely to see an improvement.
You can see the tests and report the phone problems here: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
christ
Grafter

Re: Upload speed dropped, latency increased, noise on phone line

Thanks for the reply, Chris.
I'll follow the troubleshooting steps you linked to and see what happens.
Cheers,
Chris