cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed cut after renewal with service change

keybaud
Dabbler

Upload speed cut after renewal with service change

I was on the Unlimited Fibre Plus, but due to my location I only ever got a download of 38Mb and an upload of 7MB. At the end of my contract I considered changing suppliers, but PlusNet sent me an email with some offers. I searched the PlusNet website for the upload limit of the Unlimited Fibre, but couldn't find any mention of it anywhere. As my upload was around 38MB and my download was below the limit for the old 38MB service when I took out my original subscription, I downgraded myself to Unlimited Fibre. I now find that my upload is capped at 1.6MB, which is worse than my old ADSL upload, before I upgraded to fibre.

Oh, and as for the ping, it's gone from 10ms to 25ms!

I looked for a support email, but the only options were online chat 'closed' or telephone call 'closed'. As I work long hours, I can't even contact your support, as you have no queuing mechanism for incidents, so I've posted here hoping someone will see my post and tell me how to resolve my problem or advise me to cancel within the 14 day window and go elsewhere.

BT Speed Test 1.jpgBT Speed Test 2.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
ganzie43

Re: Upload speed cut after renewal with service change

You must make contact somehow, preferably by phone, as they should be able to help.  I had a £25/month contract which gave me 37-17Mb down/up and found recently that the up had been dropped to 1.7Mb/sec with no way of altering that.  There had been no prior warning of this so they were in the wrong. The solution they offered was to have the £27 unlimited fibre option (70Mb down 17 up) for £10/month for 24 months if I transferred my home phone.  Now I'm saving £20 per month compared to before.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@keybaud

The UPLOAD speed is hidden in the Terms And Conditions which of course everyone reads before ordering.

Look at https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ and read the section marked "Here's the legal bit" where is says

† Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

If you want to cancel and are still inside the 14 days from ordering then you will need to phone the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) .

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid the upload speed is correct for the service you've chosen to go to, our current Unlimited Fibre is up to 38Mb/s down and up to 1.9Mb/s upload.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ganzie43

Made a mistake in my post, it's unlimited fibre extra I changed to and that gives me back my 17Mb upload along with the 70 download.  I'm only 200m from the exchange so theres little loss. (73.4/18.3Mbps tested just now using Thinkbroadband)   BTW the lady at Plusnet also said that if I had stayed on the package I had the upload speed is due to go up to 9Mb/s in September and that seems to be borne out by BT's current mininum now on their packages.

Chris
Legend

I'm just looking at what's happened with your account now, you're correct that you should be on the 80/20 wholesale product.

Your account is set correctly on our side, and on the wholesale side. Are you now seeing the correct speeds?

BTW the lady at Plusnet also said that if I had stayed on the package I had the upload speed is due to go up to 9Mb/s in September and that seems to be borne out by BT's current mininum now on their packages.

She was wrong. We're not making any changes to the upload speed for customers that currently have 1.9Mb/s upload.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ganzie43

Thanks Chris.  That's interesting. She was also wrong when she initially assured me that I couldn't have had the 40/20 contract in the first place, when I did have it for 9 months or so before it dropped to 40/1.9.  Maybe she was new.  I'm certainly now getting the speeds I reported in my last post, 73/18.  The only thing missing is my caller display which I'm paying for. Reported that yesterday and an email today tells me that has now been withdrawn!  Maybe another one later will tell me it has been resurrected!

Chris
Legend

We did sell the 38Mb/s product with a faster speed for a period of time, but this was withdrawn last June.

Let me go see what's happening with your caller display.

Chris
Legend

Checking your number directly on the ordering system shows that caller display is active now.

keybaud
Dabbler

So, I tried Live chat as there is a 30 minute wait on support calls and got:

"I'm sorry, none of our Plusnet Chat teams are available right now. We're available Monday to Sunday, 07:30-22:00."

Hmm, I could have sworn that 7:30 PM on a Tuesday falls within the specified date and time for support...

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@keybaud

That can mean 1 of 2 things

1. The Chat system is playing up 
  2. You have ad blocking/popup blocking/Ghostery addons enabled in your browser

I seen that message for both of these reasons in the past.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
keybaud
Dabbler

I'm using MS Edge with no add-ons, so could it be that the Chat isn't compatible with the default Windows 10 browser?

/edit Chat is listed as unavailable on IE 11, but available on Edge...