cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed artificially cut by PN

psings
Dabbler

Upload speed artificially cut by PN

I am currently very annoyed that PN have imposed a cap on my broadband upload speed.

I was called on 14th September as my 18 month contract was due to end.  I agreed to renew the contract on the terms that nothing would change with the connection.  Overnight my upload speed has been artificially capped!

Today I have spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with PN support who tell me that my line is now set at 40/2 and not 40/10 as has always been.  The kick in the balls is that they say there is no way it can be changed back, and they will not offer the fibre extra as my line's max download speed is 23 megs and 5.6 up.

I need to work at home most days and with a baby on the way, working at home will be more permanent.  However, 2 megs upload when it used to be 5.5 is not fair.

Because of my job I have to have faster upload speeds otherwise I cannot carry out my duties within a reasonable time.  CCTV is also installed on our premises which is remotely backed up - again - 2 megs is NOT sufficient.

It's like I'm being penalised for not being able to get 40 megs and I feel deceived and angry that this is happening and there is no way it can be changed.

Plusnet are certainly NOT "doing me proud", unless by which, they think I like being shafted.

This is NOT "fibre" broadband and is a massive step in the wrong direction!

Has anyone else had this issue and had it resolved satisfactorily?

33 REPLIES 33
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Upload speed artificially cut by PN

Plusnet has not sold a 40/10 product for many years.

Did you receive an email over the summer, to advise if you were on their 40/20 Unlimited Fibre product, then you would be moved to upto 55/10 product from 1st August ?

fwiw, my 2 year 40/20, now 55/10, contract comes to an end in next few weeks. I'm trying to seek clarification whether Plusnet will still provide 55/10 if I agree to accept a new fixed term contract, or be forced to choose an alternative.  My line rental is still with BT (long story) and the plan is to finally bring it over to Plusnet.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Keeping-55-10-fibre-Retentions-query/td-p/1369761

I've tried phoning a few times but there is always long call waiting time.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

@psings wrote:

and they will not offer the fibre extra as my line's max download speed is 23 megs and 5.6 up.

Keep trying and you will eventually get someone that will help you with this, my line tops out at 38 meg down and first few attempts got me the same response as you from the first line support staff, eventually one of them decided he would put me through to an actual tech guy(no idea why) and after explaining to him he immediately got on the phone to someone in sales and explained to them what I wanted and within 10 minutes I was moved over to Fibre Extra.

psings
Dabbler

I never received any email from PN over the summer regarding changes, only one this morning at 3am telling me my upload speed had changed to 2Mb/s.

Perhaps it was a 38meg package, but I remember when signing up and the estimated speeds given as 20 down/6.5.

There was a problem over the summer where my line dropped to below 15 megs and PN looked into it as minimum guaranteed was 21 according to them.  After 3 engineers telling me 17 was the best it would achieve I went out and purchased my own HomeHub 5 which saw the line immediately go to 23 megs down and 5.5 up - PN refused to send me out new hardware on the basis that it wouldn't change a thing.

After the download speed problem was resolved, PN had me on a 55Mb/s open profile which has been stable for over 2 months at 23Mb/s down and 5.5 up.

I've been reading their Price and Product Change FAQ from 1st September, and nowhere does it mention a maximum of 2Mb/s.  My contract was renewed on 14th September and kicked in today.

I cancelled the contract as it was still within 14 days so I didn't get tied in for another 18 months - in case PN refuse to resolve this to my satisfaction.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@psings You might like to check the last few posts on this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Clarification-Please-40-20-to-40-2/td-p/1261471/highl... . Sounds like you were on the 40/20 product. As long as your original contract started before the 40/20 product was discontinued, as opposed to where some people were accidentally put on 40/20 after that date, then you should remain on that when renewing.  Athough, since all people on 40/20 have been moved to 55/10 recently, you should in fact be on that produc, which will be fine for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

psings
Dabbler

Thanks @MisterW, I signed up in March 2014 to Plusnet so assume by reading other posts it was a 40/20 product as it's suggested it was discontinued in May 2014.

If I had rejected the new contract I would probably be still on the same now, but I committed to another 18 months with the girl who called me on the terms that nothing would change - she told me the "minimum" upload speed would be 1.9Mb/s.  I checked the term "minimum" and she said she definitely said "minimum 1.9Mb/s upload"

I wonder how many other people have been told the same?  I was conned into a new contract based on false terms, just so the salesperson could get the sale, now I want Plusnet to put it right back to where it was.  If I cancel the new contract within 14 days, the account should revert back to the previous deal, not something substandard.

For the past couple of months my PN profile was set to a 55Mb/s open profile, even though my line isn't capable of that so I would assume they'd raised it to the maximum for my package, therefore 40/20 changed to 55/10.

Having Plusnet tell me it's impossible to change it back is not helping my mood and certainly they're not "doing me proud".  I fail to believe that they can't just go into my profile and change it back!

What a let down.

Come on Plusnet, do me proud!

psings
Dabbler

Come to think of it, the BTW speed test always showed 20Mbps as the max profile setting.  From that I know I was on the 40/20 product.

Now it's 2Mbps on the profile which relates to what PN are saying.

@HarryB, you helped someone with a similar issue last month - can you help me here?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

For the past couple of months my PN profile was set to a 55Mb/s open profile, even though my line isn't capable of that so I would assume they'd raised it to the maximum for my package, therefore 40/20 changed to 55/10.

That does tend to confirm that you were originally correctly on a 40/20 product, otherwise you would not have been transferred to the 55/10. It's a bit more than a profile change as it sounds like you've been incorrectly provisioned on a 40/2 product and need to be provisioned on the 55/10. Sounds like straightforward misselling of the recontracting to me!. Hopefully one of the CRT people will be along to sort it out ( although they seem to have been a bit thin on the ground for the last few days )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Even the forum joining date indicates that @psings was here before they stopped selling 40/20.

Come on Customer Services, this should be easy to rectify!

bill888
Champion

fwiw, I finally got through to Customer Options without waiting.

I was assured I would keep my existing 55/10 fibre product speeds.  The ticket containing the breakdown of the new monthly bill, quotes 'estimated speed range of 48-52 mbps'.  No mention of minimum upload speeds in same ticket.

But, I have noticed two subsequently generated 'closed' tickets:

Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Pending Provisioned Service 'WBC FTTC Annex A 02Mbit/s Up, 40Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability' added as a part of Account Change process.

Broadband product change scheduled successfully
To: Unlimited Fibre
This change will take place on 2016-09-26 02:00:00

Wait and see what happens on Monday....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@psings @bill888

Leave this with me and I'll make sure it's sorted some time next week (Hopefully by Tuesday)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bill888
Champion

fyi

Spotted this new ticket:

1:27am, Monday 26 Sep 2016

Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Provisioned Service 'WBC FTTC Annex A 02Mbit/s Up, 40Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability' added as a part of Account Change process

Update:

Speeds dropped to 40/2 profile at around 7am this morning.

A static IP also appears to have been assigned to my account even though none was requested.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bill888 - I've now responded via your account. Looks like your speeds should be back to normal by tomorrow hopefully. The static ip has also been removed, I'm not sure why that reconfigured itself after I removed it previously.

@psings - Unfortunately I'm still getting error messages when trying to place your order. When I tried on Saturday, I thought it could have been connected to an outage that occurred on the ordering system shortly before I tried placing the order, however I still get the same errors today.

I've raised this with our suppliers and hope to have an update tomorrow, however unfortunately the speeds won't be back up by tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bill888 - I believe you should now be on 55/10. You may need to disconnect and reconnect your router as it appears your connection may not have dropped following the completion of the order at around 4am this morning.

@psings - Unfortunately I'm still having problems getting your order placed.

I spent 50 minutes discussing this matter with our suppliers yesterday and another 1 hour and 20 minutes today due to the error messages being received when trying to place your order. I've now been advised I can expect an update by tomorrow, so I'm hoping to be able to place your order tomorrow, however I unfortunately can't guarantee that at this stage.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
psings
Dabbler

Thanks for the ongoing help with this @HarryB - it's strange they allowed the initial incorrect change, but won't allow you to revert it without giving you a headache!