cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed & connection help.

MUFFiN
Grafter

Upload speed & connection help.

I signed up to plusnet in April 2015, getting the "unlimited Fibre" package and for the first few months I was delighted with receiving great speeds. I was getting speeds of approx 32mb download & about 7-8mb upload. Over the past few months my upload speed has dropped to 3mb whilst my download speed has pretty much maintained itself. What can cause the upload speed to suddenly fall so dramatically? I understand that PN brought in a max upload of 2mb for new customers, but I had signed up before this, therefore this shouldn't affect me (I hope) ?
As a youtube content creator, the upload speed is something that I kind of rely on. I know 3mb isn't (too) bad however considering that it used to be 7-8mb, it is quite a drop down. Especially since there is a lot of gaming, streaming (2 chromecasts, 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 tablet and sky on demand) going on a daily basis.
I am contemplating upgrading to the "Unlimited Fibre Extra" package for the remainder of my contract, would this defiantly push my upload speeds up considering both packages (my current and Unlimited Fibre Extra) state the following;
  • 14Mb - 20Mb upload speed (estimated)

---------------------------------------
Over the space of the last month, there has been nights where my connection drops to absolute garbage, such as last night.

Current speed right now;

When this happens, I reset my router then run another speed test which usually returns it to normal but frequently this drops down again within minutes, leaving us that we cannot watch things via chromecast which was what happened last night.
It may be worth noting that nothing has changed in regards to the router / wiring setup inside the house. It has remained untouched from installation.
Why is this happening ? Crazy
Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Upload speed & connection help.

Hi MUFFiN,
I've just been running diagnostic checks which didn't show any obvious problems. However I can see that you should be getting a much better upstream.
I'd try another router if you can just to rule that out first then report a fault at http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MUFFiN
Grafter

Re: Upload speed & connection help.

I don't have access to another router to try first. Is there any type in particular that I should look for if I was to buy a new one or do PN replace them?
Would upgrading to unlimited fibre extra boost my upload speed to even higher than before as well as my download Adam or would I be classed as a new customer therefore restricting me to 2mb upload?
dick:quote