Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload reduced to 2 meg

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Upload reduced to 2 meg

I've been a Plusnet customer for many years, having stayed because of the excellent customer service. I had a phone call a few weeks back, telling me my contract was up and offering me a reduction of £5 per month if I signed up for a further 18 months. I agreed readily and was told everything would stay exactly the same, just the discount - seemed like a no brainer.
Last Friday, I received an email telling me my product change was complete and that my upload speed would now be 2 meg - I used to get 8. I'm really annoyed that at no point during that telephone call, was I told that by accepting the new contract my speed would be reduced drastically. I rang customer service who told me there's nothing they can do about it, it's out of their hands, but if I upgrade to Fibre extra I can have up to 20meg upload. Bit sneaky Plusnet, but your customer service is so good, I agree to the extra charge and an upgrade.
Then I'm told that my exchange (Caerleon NP18) does not support Fibre extra, so, "Oh dear, I'm afraid we cant upgrade you after all, your exchange only supports up to 38meg / 2 meg".
"So can I have my old package back please, the one where I had in excess of 8meg upload and when it was first installed just over 40 download?"
"Sorry no, that doesn't exist any more. Your exchange only supports ... blah ... blah"
So how come I used to get better Plusnet? I'm really annoyed about this, I feel like I've been tucked up completely! I would never have agreed to the contract had I realised Sad
16 REPLIES 16
shure
Grafter

Re: Upload reduced to 2 meg

you're not the only one this has happened to.
the 2Gb upload speed is purely controlled by PN.  If you didn't agree to a product change (and this will be backed up by your phone transcript) you should be able to insist they put you back, but Customer Services won't be able to help you.  You really need to get put through to Provisioning or Retentions and they have both more knowledge and ability to do something about it.  But you have to stand firm and kick up a fuss.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

the upload is not controlled by plusnet only the download on the 40Mb package is by the cap that they put in place, the upload i believe is set by BTw so it makes things complicated because no more than 2Mb is given on the 40Mb package now, the upload should not have been touched when the the deal was made if what the CRT have said was true.
whether or not Btw can give back the upload the OP had i do not know hopefully someone on the CRT can see this tomorrow and help sort it out.  

pwatson
Rising Star

Wrong - BTW offer 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20 products.  These haven't changed in years.  Somewhat unusually PN have,until recently, offered 40/20 and this was achieved by provisioning the end user on the 80/20 product and then capping the download.
PN have withdrawn the 40/20 product and replaced it with 40/2.  They don't offer 40/10 and (currently) refuse to supply 80/20 on lines that won't support download speeds much above 40Mbps, even if the customer acknowledges that they won't get anywhere near 80Mbps but is prepared to pay for it as they want 20Mbps upload.
At face value, the OP has been lied to by PN and hopefully someone will be along tomorrow that can 'kick bottom' at PN towers and restore the OP's product back as it was.  At the same time they can rap the knuckles of the staff that have dealt with the case so far and add the issue to the increasingly long list of items to be covered by remedial training!
AndyH
Grafter

I think when FTTC was first introduced, it was on a 40/2 service. You then had 40/10 shortly afterwards and then finally 80/20 was offered.
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. Having read through the forums, it does seem I'm not the only one.
You made a good point about me not agreeing to a product change actually, I was told it would be the same, just £5 cheaper by signing up for 18 months. I also think I've been fibbed to about my exchange not being able to support the Fibre extra package - I know I wont get anywhere near 80 meg, but if my line had over 40 down and almost 12 up when it was first put in, that shows it is possible for me personally to be on the higher package surely. I'm happy to pay for the bigger package and get the download speed I have now just to get a better upload.
This feels very unfair, Plusnet range me to offer this, it's not like I approached them for the saving Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm going to reply to the open ticket shortly with what I think is a fair way to resolve this, as an FYI your download speeds have only briefly gone over 40Mb/s, normally they are around 38Mb/s so from what I can see it's the upload causing the problem.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

a fair wait to resolve it would be to re-instate what the customer had.
any other resolution would be a breach of contract IMO.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Doing that would also remove any agreed discounts, I'm trying to sort out a way to do both.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mlmclaren
Grafter

I think the customer would be better off seeking service from another provider as for as long as they're a customer with Plusnet and on any product other than 40/2 or 80/20 they will not get any offers and will probably continue to receive 'targeted' calls to get them on to cheaper wholesale products!
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Chris
Doing that would also remove any agreed discounts, I'm trying to sort out a way to do both.

so the assumption there is that the OP was mis-sold the product then when agreeing the discount?
after-all the customer did not prompt for a discount, PN offered it.
was it made clear to the customer that agreeing to a discount would result in a dropped upstream? it appears it wasn't.
is there a concerted effort by PN to get people off the 40/20 product by any means? including offering discounts and "forgetting" to inform them that the upstream would be dropped to 2Mbps?
deathtrap
Grafter

The solution here would be to start supplying the 40/10 product instead of the 40/2 which if you ever want to actually upload something would prove to be painstakingly sloooww, It would also cause higher latency when downloading as downloading at 40mbps is going to use around 50% of the available upstream bandwidth
avatastic
Grafter

The solution would be to stop changing users products when recontracting.
Quote from: MattyC
If there is a provision needed, it'll be 40/2.
Quote from: ad47uk
So what happens when my contract comes to the end are you going to drop me down to 2Mb/s upload.

In this circumstance, there is no need for provision. You'll get left as you are.
Though say for example you move house, it'd be different.
Hope this clarifies it a little better. Apologies if I'm missing anyone's posts.
Matty

Like they're not supposed to be doing.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
caryn
Rising Star

Thank you Chris (Plusnet) for trying to sort this out, all I ever asked for was for my original package to be reinstated, so your help organising this so quickly has been much appreciated.
Is this something that any other Plusnet customer being offered a new contract should be aware of before they agree, or was a mistake made with my particular account?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

On this occasion, it was a mistake with your account (which Chris fed back on).
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet