cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload capped FTTC

hdd21

Upload capped FTTC

I got my FTTC installed today. After having spoken to the sales team a few months ago we worked out my line can sync at around 38mbps. This the line is syncing at. The upload is capable of around 6 - 8 mbps I was   told then. It is artificially capped at 2 unless I upgrade to fibre extra which I cannot do because of my line cant handle higher than 40 as told by CS, yet it is the upload I am after, not the download. I would be willing to pay for fibre extra to get the increased upload, even if my line cannot handle the extra download that package would offer. without the upload there was little point in me upgrading to fibre from ADSL2 where my upload was 1.2mbps. As I am within the 14 day cooling off period id happily roll back to my previous contract as I felt misleaded by this, if it is possible to remove this cap and at what price or put me on fibre extra without the increased download benefits so I can get the upload, I would be happy to do it, to make this worth my while! My next door neighbour is on BT infinity with 29 down, 6 upload so the upload is definitely capable of being more than 2. It even says in my products area:
Unlimited Usage Allowance
38Mb download speed (estimated)
7.6Mb  upload speed (estimated)
You've 17 months left of your 18 contract
Designed for demanding users

I have been a happy plusnet customer on and off for a long time, I hope this can be sorted!
Jacob
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upload capped FTTC

I think you are going to be out of luck on this. Sad Plusnet have made it pretty clear that with the way their systems are offering 40/10 is not possible and they'd rather lose a customer to one of the many ISPs that offer 40/10.
Your best bet will be to drop back to ADSL and then find another ISP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hdd21

This screenshot of me going to my area to change my product online and showing it in my account tells me that I should be getting more, that is very misleading if it is the case as I saw the same estimates or similar  when ordering online. Nothing to tell me it was capped. Id be willing to pay for fibre extra to be put on the higher profile even though I can't sync higher than 40 download. If it is saying when ordering that it is possible* to get higher than 2mbps upload then surely capping it isn't deemed  the best? I will wait  for someone from plusnet to see this and hopefully maybe see if they can't switch me to fibre extra as goodwill because of what I saw when ordering online and when I spoke to sales, even though I cant get higher than 40 download, or I could probably end during the 14 day cooling off period and head for the hills with BT but I would rather give them a chance to resolve this first as they have been good thus far since 2011 for me. I have just spoken to another CS agent who says the upload shouldn't be capped on hold to the tech team atm
I am syncing at 38mbps down and 2up but he says checking my line I should be syncing at 5mbps upload 36 download as that's what it is showing at the cabinet he says... My download though is still stuck at ADSL speeds in practice when testing via Ethernet. The router is showing this:
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:05:36
Downstream: 38.5 Mbps
Upstream: 1.953 Mbps
1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ52926682
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:07:31
6. Data rate: 2000 / 39428
7. Maximum data rate: 6532 / 39519
8. Noise margin: 15.4 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 27.8 / 27.4
10. Signal attenuation: 27.7 / 24.8

Actual download in practice is 12mbps upload I am currently on the fence on waiting to find out whats what. I should have the 6.5mbps upload what is showing there is what the line is syncing at in line with what I was shown online when I ordered.
Jacob
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Might want to redact your phone number and postcode from that screengrab...
hdd21

good thinking! After a call and getting transferred, turns out they can manually override the block and put me on fibre extra, I pay the extra £5 but with the uncapped upload. As usual, good customer service. I am glad I could sort this, took a few calls to CS to get me to someone who could, but got there in the end! Cheesy
Jacob