Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed Problem

FIXED
SteveWilliams61
Dabbler

Upload Speed Problem

Hi ive recently taking to streaming on Twitch and my upload speed sits around 6mbps which is fine and I use 4000 bitrate to stream now my problem is that at random my upload will drop to about 300 kbps and the stream will drop a massive amount of frames seems a bit weird considering that I used to stream a few years ago and it was smooth as butter with all the same settings and I could stream all day and not a single frame would drop please can someone help me I'm getting a bit fed up now

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Upload Speed Problem

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @SteveWilliams61, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with wavering speeds as of recent. Testing your connection from this side currently I can see we're currently getting 40Mbps download and 6.4Mbps upload to your router with no signs of underlying faults.

Just to confirm first of all then, the device you're streaming off, is this wired into the router or is this connected via wireless?

Also, the times when you're noticing the upload drop to a crawl, are there any heavy downloads or higher usage of the connection at the time which could explain some of the performance issues? I ask as generally, if you're downloading or uploading a large file then your connection will look to do so with as much bandwidth as possible. If you're streaming at this point which requires a certain upload speed for higher quality would mean then be impacting as your connection will use everything it has for the larger download leaving less upload speed and performance issues with your stream.This can sometimes be combatted by saving large downloads or updates for periods when you're not streaming.

I look forwards to hearing from you further.

SteveWilliams61
Dabbler

Hi and thanks for the quick response, I can confirm the device is wired not wireless and there are no large downloads running at the same time when the upload speed dropping occurs. I called up Plusnet yesterday and had a chat about the issue and the gentleman said he would change my line profile to make it more stable because I heard from a friend who works in the industry that there are 3 line profiles and mine might have been too aggressive for my line to cope with, he also said the change might take up to 48hrs to complete upon further testing though it might be fixed already fingers crossed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @SteveWilliams61 

I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your upload speed. I'm glad to see the changes we've made to your line's profile to increase the stability looks to have sorted this out for you.

If you're still having issues though, it may be worth looking at the router next to see if that's causing an issue.

Are you using the Openreach modem and Technicolor router combo we sent you long ago?

If that's the case, I'd like to send you more modern piece of kit. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SteveWilliams61
Dabbler

Hello again and no we still use the Openreach modem but with an Asus Router that seems to be pretty solid but if you think it would be worth sending us something new then I don't see a problem

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Steve, ah no problem. As your sync speed going into the Openreach modem looks to be OK, I wouldn't say there's an issue with the modem, and as things are OK now with your Asus router, it may be worth us hanging fire on sending a Hub One, because the Asus is likely going to be a much more capable router (in terms of Wi-Fi).

Let us know if that changes though. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SteveWilliams61
Dabbler

Is it at all possible for you guys to run a Line test so I can see the stats for my line someone did one for me like 2-3 years ago but I would like to see an updated one, please 

Many Thanks 

Steve

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @SteveWilliams61, no problem at all Smiley . I've run some tests on the line and have popped them below. the line looks fine, though your upload speed seems a little low. An RRT test shows no line issues though, and technically speaking, it is within estimates as per BT's Availability Checker, I've also run a Radius test which shows the odd disconnection, though nothing major to worry about here as well.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 697.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-07-10T10:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 6.4 Mbps 6.4 Mbps 6.4 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
SteveWilliams61
Dabbler

Thanks for doing the line test much Appreciated also yes my upload is a bit slow considering that when I joined back in 2013 it was 11mbps then over the years it's slowly decreased not the end of the world but worth noting  

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for your response @SteveWilliams61

I agree, while it's technically within range / estimates for your line, it is on the low end. Please let us know if it decreases below 6.3Mbps ((wired), we'll be able to investigate further and possibly raise the matter with Openreach.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds