cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed Halved!

redhedgehog42
Grafter

Upload Speed Halved!

In the fairly recent past I have seen my Download speed drop from around 72 to 51 but the Upload sped has been stable at 17 give or take about 1%.
Many conversations with Plusnet have failed to produce a truly convincing answer for the drop in Download speeds but having been away for over 2 weeks the Download speed has recovered slightly and is now about 54 (by the way the Modem and Router were left on all the time I was away so no change there). Yesterday and the day before my speeds were 54 Down and 17 Up but today while the Download speed had remained the same the Upload speed has halved to 8 !!
Same speeds - within a whisker - whether connected via homeplugs, wireless or directly via Ethernet and the same on both my computers.
I have raised this with Plusnet fault team as my original fault question, started over a month ago, is still open but I wonder if anyone else has any ideas.
Help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 161

Re: Upload Speed Halved!

The upload sync has dropped down to 10.5 from 20mbps.
I can see you've passed the issue back to our Faults team. They'll be in touch as soon as they can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy response Matthew, is there anything I can do at my end while waiting for the Faults Team to come back to me?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do I'm afraid.
It'll be a case of waiting for our Faults team to get in touch with BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have seen my upload Speed drop from 14-15Mbps (sometimes a tad faster than that even) down to about 11mbps. As per Seahog, rock solid for a long time whilst the Down speeds deteriorated over some months.
Down Speeds have improved enormously in two stages over the past 3-4 weeks and are pretty good (Shown connected at 45 Mbps, I get 40Mbps, I'm assuming that I'm Capped).
One imagines something going on behind the scenes, but that's probably just fanciful thinking.
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Reply to Matthew:
Just to update this thread;
Yesterday there was a brief powercut in my area and following this a speedtest showed that the Upload speed had recovered to about 16 Mbps with the Download speed remained as before the powercut - I was pleased but a little confused.
Today I did a series of speed tests (using various testers including BT) which show that not only has the Upload speed remained at about 16Mbps but the Download speed, which having fallen at the end of May to about 50 Mbps and which was the subject of an ongoing discussion with your Faults Team, had recovered to between 63 & 65 Mbps  !!  Even more pleased but still wonder why.
Subsequent to when I did the speed tests today your Fault Team has reported they couldn't find any issues.
Will be very very pleased if today's state of affairs continues into the future
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Today I did a series of speed tests (using various testers including BT) which show that not only has the Upload speed remained at about 16Mbps but the Download speed, which having fallen at the end of May to about 50 Mbps and which was the subject of an ongoing discussion with your Faults Team, had recovered to between 63 & 65 Mbps  !!  Even more pleased but still wonder why.

I've recently had a very similar experience. My speeds suddenly returned to normal just over a week ago, whilst fault finding was taking place. Like you I've no idea why. Huh
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hmm bizarre but good.
I hope it stays that way too.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Update for Matthew:
The good times haven't lasted.
At 07.35 this morning speeds were tested and showed 65.17 Mbps Down and 15.56 Mbps Up but when re-tested at 09.46 they had dropped to 51.15 Mbps Down and 15.57 Mbps Up - back to where I was after May 30th but before the changes over the last few days. As the IP address is still the same as it was, and has been consistently for the last three days, there would appear to have been no interruptions in service. These variations seem to quite random and unconnected with anything that I can point to at my end - this is truly not satisfactory from my point of view.
I'm not blaming Plusnet in so much as they are not in control of the whole system end to end but sometimes their  "we'll do you proud" boast feels a little hollow to me.
It seems as though the technology for FTTC is not really robust or stable enough to cope. When I worked in a large commercial IT Department our developers would have been castigated for delivering a sytem that gave such randomly variable results to our end users and I wish someone somewhere would get matters sorted out. Not just for me but for all the other users who have similar unexplained speed problems.
Your comments, observations and possible explanations of what is happening would be much appreciated.
Yet more information has been passed to the Fault Team but waiting for their response - which is almost inevitably - "we cannot detect any issues" is so frustrating. After all I am having issues.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our tests are picking up on some Radio Frequency Ingress which may be the cause.
This may well require a engineer to investigate further but our Faults team will confirm when they pick it up.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Update for Matthew
An Openresch engineer called today, no appointment had been made -  all  we got was a phone call to say would he visit in the next 15 minutes - good thing we were in. He then spent about three hours investigating faults he detected in the copper circuit between my property and the FTTC Cabinet. He found a badly waterlogged joint in an underground cable further up the road which he said he had repaired. However after the repair my speed had dropped from about 54Mbps down and 17 Mbps up to about 46 Mbps down and 14Mbps up! He said he could find no further faults and had spoken with his technical support team. He was very puzzled that the speed had dropped and stated that the speeds might recover over the next few days. During his repeated testing of course my connection was on and off like a yo-yo consequently I asked if a DLM reset should be done and he said he preferred not to as it might cause further problems. He also mentioned interleaving had been set and talked about my line being high frequency line which limited its speed- something I didn't understand as for the first three months on FTTC I was getting 70Mbps down and 17 MBps up with no breaks in service!. Furthermore I now find, having run a BT test, that my profile has been reduced further from 67.9 Down/20 Up to 50.29 Down/20 Up see attached before and after BT Tests. So I suspect the speeds can never recover back to where they were before he came far less back to where they were before the latest incident happened unless the profile is reset (DLM??). As you can well imagine I am not a happy bunny - please I just wanted things rectified not made worse.
The engineer said his report would be passed to Plusnet but to supplement that I have posted the bare bones of the above info on the ongoing fault report together with the screen grabs of the BT Test results but it has taken 9 days to get to this current state of affairs from the reported speed drop that resulted in his visit and I would really appreciate the problem being moved along as quickly as possible. You have been helpful in the past so further assistance would be welcome.
Estragon
Rising Star

On FTTC, unlike on ADSLx, interleaving has a big impact on downstream connection speed. Normally at least 8Mbps, and often 10Mbps can be lost. There is also a minimum of 8ms added to the latency.
If you have an unlocked HG612 modem you can see the related figures. With the ECI modem it is a soldering iron job to unlock it.
The interleaving normally resets to Fast Path after a few weeks, (again unlike ADSLx), assuming the ongoing errors are low enough for the DLM to be happy to remove it.
Edit - the IP Profile is set as 0.9679 or 0.9669 times the sync speed, depending on whether G.INP is active or not. On your line it appears not to be. The IP Profile does not limit the sync speed. It's a result, not a cause. What it does do is make sure data doesn't arrive at the MSAN in the cabinet on its way to you at a rate faster than your connection to the MSAN, as that would cause packet loss between the MSAN and exchange.
Edit 2: When you had your 67.9Mbps IP Profile, your sync speed would have been ~70,152kbps.
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Note for Matthew Wheeler:
Would just like to know that you have picked up on my post dated 11/07/2015 at 18.15.
As you can see things are not going well. Further details were added to the on-going fault ticket yeasterday so I hope (because I have to remain opmtimistic) that something can be done to stop this apparently inexorable decline in speeds and rectify the negative effects of the engineer's visit.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The line is testing okay from our end here.
I've attached your stats to this post.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
redhedgehog42
Grafter

Reply to Matthew
Thanks for the response and the stats - I'm afraid that they offer me little comfort - everything may be OK as far as the tests are converned but the fact re ains that I am continuing to suffer declining speeds and the engineer's visit and the "fault rectification" he did merely reduced the speeds even further and I do mean that. A Speedtest.net check done just a few minutes before he started work showed speeds of 54.15Mbps  down and 17.10 Mbps up whereas just after he had done everything they were 46.45 Mb/s down and 14.87 Mb/s up. As of 2 minutes ago they stand at 46.01 Mb/s down 14.91 Mb/s up.
I'll wait for the fault team's response and see what transpires