Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre

FIXED
BertieBassett
Grafter

Upgrading to Fibre

Hello,

Pretty basic question please - so I crave you patience. New offer from PlusNet to upgrade to Fibre for just a couple of pounds per month. I wonder if someone will kindly let me know what the procedure will be in terms of switch over. Will I need a visit from an engineer and will there be downtime? Is there any negatives to this deal please? I stream films and TV programmes and suffer a little buffering. If it ain't broke don't fix it or is it a no brainer.? Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Upgrading to Fibre

Fix

@BertieBassett

If you are up-grading from ADSL to VDSL then it's unlikely an engineer will need to visit your house. They do need to go to the cabinet to make a change there.

PlusNet will send you a new router around the time of the switch (they try to do it on a "just in time" basis). You can plus it in as soon as it's received as it'll work on your ADSL connection. There may few a short period of downtime when the switch is made.

As it's a new router you'll then need to re-set all your Wi-Fi devices.

Finally, if you put your phone number in the following you'll see what speeds are potentially available.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

BertieBassett
Grafter

Thanks for your helpful reply, Brian. In view of that I'll give it a go. Regards, David.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@BertieBassett

As I understand it the worst thing about up-grading is PlusNet communications - they are not always clear.

As an engineer is required you are given a date based on engineer availability. The service should change from ADSL to VDSL on that day though it can be up to midnight before it happens.

One thing you can check outwith PlusNet is the DSL Checker site previously mentioned. Once the order has been committed by OpenReach part of the narrative when you check your phone number should be something along the lines of

"open order due to be completed ......"

Brian