Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre Question

FIXED
SylviaB
Dabbler

Upgrading to Fibre Question

I am considering upgrading from standard broadband to fibre and have some questions. I would appreciate your help

I have a rather old master socket, Non NTE5 I think. Will this be suitable for fibre.

Also my router is the 2704N. Would I be sent a new one and would I need different microfilters.

Many Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
urshbear
Fixes: 1

Re: Upgrading to Fibre Question

Fix

Hello

Here is some information from my very limited knowledge:

I don't believe you will need a different socket for fibre as it is usually installed remotely.

If you do need a new master socket, it will be installed free of charge (depending on your upgrade plan I suppose) by one of their engineers and will include any additionally required equipment such as a new router.

If a new router is required, it will be delivered to you, again, depending on upgrade plan (probably free), and includes a micro filter as standard.

The microfilter is needed based on whether you have a single or double master socket which the setup guide booklet explains easily.

Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi welcome to the forum, yes you will need a new master socket a NTE5c this would be supplied foc mention this when you order fibre.

You would receive a new router again foc just pay the postage.

Filters would come with the router if needed, the new master socket would have these built in.

SylviaB
Dabbler

Many Thanks for both your replies . You were very helpful 

Much appreciated 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In my experience an upgrade of the master socket is at the discretion of the Openreach engineer.

A smile, accompanied by an offer of tea may help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Whilst helpful, alas the previous replies are not totally accurate.

1. The router you have is not suitable for fibre, so a PN Hub 1 willbe supplied - postage is £6.99/

2. You can use your current master socket and filter wit the new router. However your speeds could be compramised if you have extensions. Openreach no longer supply a new VDSL filtered master socket by default, however if you are not getting the speeds you should, PN will send out an Openreach engineer and the first thing they will do is fit a new socket.

Have a look on the http://dslchecker.bt.com/  to see what speeds you should be getting.

SylviaB
Dabbler

I thought the engineer would only visit the green box and not  the house. I expected to just plug in the router and be left to my own devices. 🤔

Den1
Rising Star

Unless you requested an engineer install then thats exactly what would happen.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Den1 wrote:

Unless you requested an engineer install

I'm afraid when placing a modify order from ADSL to fibre, we don't have an option to send an engineer to do a managed install. These would all be self install, in the way that @SylviaB has said.

If there are problems with the service following the upgrade, the customer would need to report a fault for further investigation.

Assuming the fault report progresses to an engineer visit, typically they will change the socket if the customer has an older socket.

However, this won't necessarily be with a filtered faceplate.

Last year I was experiencing slower than expected speeds on my fibre connection, raised a fault report and the engineer told me he didn't think my old master socket would be the cause of this, but was going to (did) upgrade the socket/faceplate anyway, to try to rule it out as the cause.

In August, I moved house and required a new line install along side my fibre order. While the engineer did replace the master socket as part of the install, the faceplate was not the filtered variant you mentioned and a microfilter was still required.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Den1
Rising Star

Oh dear the option has been removed has it, i was going on personal experance when i changed from adsl to fibre mind you it was a while ago.

SylviaB
Dabbler

Thank you all for your replies.

I will place the order and deal with any problems if they occur

Thanks again