Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre - Master Socket query

MDov
Grafter

Upgrading to Fibre - Master Socket query

Hi,
I've placed my upgrade to Fibre with a current installation date 2nd June, I chose the data extension kit just incase this may be needed on the day
However what I'm now wondering is where exactly the Openreach Engineer will be thinking of putting their modem as my master socket that I know of is external within a grey box like below outside next to my front door. The house is only 5 years old so I'm unsure if this is some new method of BT installing their lines?
All the sockets (3 in my living room alone!) look the same
Will he convert one of these sockets into a master at my choosing?
3 REPLIES 3
MDov
Grafter

Re: Upgrading to Fibre - Master Socket query

Just actually came across this post which makes me think that OR will do as I thought and provide some form of internal socket that I would then know as my master
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4296457-master-socket-or-not.html
I guess time will tell and hopeful that the engineer on the day will have experienced these sockets and what is required during the install Smiley
mwarby
Grafter

Thats called an external NTE if I recall correctly. The idea is to separate customer wiring from openreach wiring outside. The engineer should install an normal master socket NTE5
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes it is an external NTE master socket which BTOR started to fit at the end of 2008 to all new-build properties so that the OR engineer didn't have to enter the property to fit an NTE5 master socket.
Also the OR engineer could test for a BT line fault even when the homeowner wasn't in.
Our 2010 new-build house had an external NTE master socket with no internal NTE5 master socket but our 2014 new-build house doesn't have an external NTE master socket but has the traditional internal NTE5 master socket so it was a simple swap to a VDSL faceplate.