Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre Extra

FIXED
c5
Dabbler

Upgrading to Fibre Extra

Hi,

I'm new to Plusnet (from BT) on an 18-month Unlimited Fibre plan. I realised before I migrated that the 2mbps upload on Unlimited Fibre probably wouldn't cut it (I use online PC backup software, a lot of cloud storage services, and regularly upload to YouTube).

Before I migrated I called and spoke to a lady at Plusnet who said I could either cancel and reorder, or could just wait until it was installed and then upgrade. She suggested I did the latter as then I'd not need to change my install date and would move over sooner. I could "sort it out once I'd joined", and she assured me it was more than simple to arrange.

So far so good, until I went onto the online chat this afternoon to get the upgrade put through. I was given the choice of a new 24-month contract, paying £5/month more - or a new 18-month contract paying £7/month more.

1. I understood from the lady I spoke to that an in-term upgrade wouldn't affect my contract length. It also says that here: https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/changing-your-plusnet-broadband-product/ "You can switch between Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Extra for free without affecting your current contract." - why am I being told something different?

2. I expected to only pay £5/month more, which is the difference in price between the two offerings. Now I'm being told that's only something for new customers ... yet I'm only here because I followed the guidance of a member of the Plusnet team.

I feel somewhat missold. If I'd known I'd need to sign up for a new contract term and pay an inflated price then -of course- I would have cancelled and reordered my migration and started my 18-month contract on the plan I wanted and the price I expected to pay.

Is there anyone who can do something about this, or am I stuck by whatever the guy in the chat says. 

I feel somewhat cheated ...

Cheers

19 REPLIES 19
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Upgrading to Fibre Extra

Have you tried changing your product online?

Link (requires login)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear this. It doesn't make for good reading.

Ordinarily, an upgrade from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra would start afresh a contract unless it's processed online via the Member Centre here.

Having said this, I understand doing it this way would mean you'd lose all billing discounts so it may work out more expensive than £5 extra per month.

Leave this with me, I'll see what I can do for you tomorrow. (Just in case I'm unable to locate your account from your community forum details please could you private message me with your account username?)

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
c5
Dabbler

Hi,

Yes, I checked that. Clicking "Change My Products" tells me:

"If you switch your broadband product, we'll reduce your monthly broadband bill for as long as you keep your phone service with Plusnet."

And then I get my current product, with a button that says "Keep this product". There's nothing else to choose.

c5
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush - will do.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Hmm, that's strange.

Can your line handle more than 40Mb/s down? If not, the option may not be available to you.
c5
Dabbler

No, it'll probably max out around 40mbps (which didn't stop BT happily charging me for Infinity 2 for years, though - but different story Smiley ). The package is worth it to me for the ~8mbps upload I'd get, though.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your private message.

Just to note that if you're unable to select Unlimited Fibre Extra via the product change tool online then the package won't appear to be available to you. The most common reason for this would be if your line speed estimate is below 40 Mbps.

I'm unsure as to why you've been offered a quote for this over webchat, but I'll clarify things tomorrow for you.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Browni
Aspiring Hero

I see @Anoush is on the case now, best of luck!
c5
Dabbler

My line currently syncs at 39999. As I said, I'm not looking to upgrade for increased download speed - it's the upload speed I really care about:

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 10664 Kbps, Downstream rate = 37692 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 1999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 5.8 19.5
Attn(dB): 23.1 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 12.2 1.7

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've looked into your account @c5 and it's as I thought. As your downstream line speed estimate is not above 40 Mbps, we won't be able to upgrade your service to Extra I'm afraid Sad It's essentially a system limitation.

I'm exploring other options though to provide you with an increased upstream speed. I'll get back to you by the end of the day, thanks for your patience.

c5
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush, appreciate the help.

If I'm not able to get some increase to upload, I've essentially been sold something which doesn't meet my needs based on incorrect information ... and would be stuck on it for 17 more months.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@c5  Unfortunately you are just another customer in a long list on here who 2mg upload is useless , if you look around there are several posts here Sad .

A lot of people are stuck on the 40/2 because their lines wont support the 80/20 , Plusnet are aware of this but still will not offer the 55/10 that is available with BT .

PS at one time Plusnet did do the 55/10

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Are Plusnet going to start putting people one-by-one, if they nag hard enough, onto the old Unlimited Fibre package (now operating at 55/10)? Like how the used to put people onto the old Unlimited package, way back when they weren't selling unlimited packages.

Plusnet never sold anything as 55/10, they converted the old 40/20 accounts to 55/10.

c5
Dabbler

Not really sure I think I'm nagging - but I see your point.

I was upfront -before- I was contracted about the plan I ultimately wanted. I assume my original call must be logged as the lady I spoke to accessed my account to see my migration date. If it was my mistake and I didn't notice the 2Mbps upload and then suddenly wanted something different then I'd accept it was my fault, but I'm following a process outlined by a Plusnet employee.