cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and need advice

hipster666

Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and need advice

I have bought, in anticipation of the upgrade, a TP-Link Archer VR2600 router which supports ADSL and fibre connections.  HATE using provider kit as they're always poorer than kit I can buy and configure myself.  However, this is my first time setting up a fibre connection to cabinet and I can't find anything on the PlusNet website which would give me the configuration information?  The Archer has some cool auto-connection software which might pick up the new connection when it activates next week, but I'd like to be armed with the connection type, settings, etc. beforehand if possible.

Cheers  Adam

5 REPLIES 5
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and need advice

Welcome to the community forums Adam

Taking a look at the router you've purchased, it looks pretty nice.

The details you need to configure your own router are your broadband username which would be the format of Username@plusdsl.net or if you're force9 then Username@f9.co.uk.

[Edit: And the password you would use would be your account password.]

The connection type should be set as PPPoE.

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
hipster666

Thanks for that.  I take it the VPI and VCI stay the same?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I believe the VPI and VCI are just used for ADSL.

Any other connection settings should be fine left as default.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@hipster666, You will need to ensure the VLAN ID is set to 101. If the VR2600 is similar to other TP Links then in the setup it will have a dropdown menu to select the ISP. Select PlsuNet_VDSL and it should set the VLAN ID correctly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Adsl uses ppp over ATM (pppoa) and the vpi vci numbers are specific config for atm.

For fttc it uses a different way of getting data to the cab/exchange using ptm not atm hence needing a vlanid to go over Ethernet.