Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre - poor download speeds

FIXED
StevenP
Dabbler

Upgraded to fibre - poor download speeds

Been with plusnet for more than a decade, but moved to a new address 6 months ago where I couldn’t initially get fibre. Was getting around 10Mbps on ASDL but poor upload speeds (around 1 Mbps). A few weeks ago, fibre (standard not extra) became available in the cabinet so I upgraded. While the upload speed increased to around 5Mbps, the download speed was barely above 12Mbps. Checked the sync via my router (TP Link W9980) and it was syncing at around 15MBps down and 6Mbps up.

Following advice from customer services, the router was plugged into the master socket behind the faceplate and, great, the sync speeds are what I should be getting for fibre (syncing at around 40Mbps down and 8Mbps up) which implied a fault on my internal wiring. This is not an issue as I can leave the router in the master socket as I don’t need the extensions that run from the master socket.

However, while syncing as it should, the down/upload speeds did not change, remaining at around 12Mbps down and 6Mbps up. These speeds are on wired connections to the router. Tried three different filters, same results. Left the router in situ for a week and no change.
Contacted customer services again and they told me nothing was wrong at their end – all the stats look good. They said it was my router (the TP-Link W9980), and sent me a new router (Hub One). I disputed it was the router as it had worked perfectly on both fibre and fibre extra with plusnet at my previous address. Anyway, installed the Hub One and guess what? Exactly the same, syncing perfectly (Down Rate=39950Kbps, Up Rate=8330Kbps; SNR Margin Down=7.3dB, Up=5.7dB) but no changes to actual download speeds which are consistently around 12Mbps. It’s been 4 days now with the new router and no change.

This is really frustrating as the actual download speed isn’t much better than when I was on standard ADSL broadband. My theory is that when I upgraded to fibre, because my internal wiring was faulty, DLM set the sync to around 12Mbps and it’s been stuck there ever since. Plusnet won’t do anything more other than let me raise a fault and send an engineer out but of course I have to pay if there’s no fault in the operator wiring (I don’t think there is as both routers sync as they should) or if the equipment is faulty (both routers showing the same issue make me suspect the equipment is fine). I’ve a ‘guaranteed’ line speed of 22Mbps but of course I’m getting that because both routers sync at 40Mpbs.

Can't get the attenuation stats from the Hub One router but they were around 25 for both up/down; SNR margin is <6 for up and usually around 7-8 for down.

Anyone offer any suggestions about what to do next?

Thanks, Steven

Test.JPG

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Upgraded to fibre - poor download speeds

What does this link https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say for your Current Line Speed ( you'll need to login with your member centre username & password ) ?

and do you have a static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StevenP
Dabbler

Just showing the details from my old address and phone line and even that is wrong since the line was disconnected on the 2 March!

I was on a static IP on fibre at the old address but no idea about this one.

Thanks, Steven

Test2.JPG

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, well if you're still on a static IP (likely), given that your synch is fine and the BT profile is 38.67Mb, then that Current Line speed of 13.1 will likely be the cause of the slow speed.

We need one of the PN help team to pick this up ...

@EmilyD @RandallFlagg you seem to be active on the forums, could one of you possibly pick this up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @StevenP

Thank for getting in touch.

You're absolutely right about the sync speed - 40mb/s.

Assuming that you're testing the download speed on a wired connection with the router in the test socket of your premises, I'd definitely recommend raising a fault here:

Although you're right regarding the fault parameters, charges etc - providing you're in the test socket and demonstrating these speeds, its highly likely that the issue relates to something that our suppliers are responsible for.

For what its worth, I think you're right about the DLM.

Best wishes,

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RandallFlagg what about the Current Line speed set to 13.1Mb ? I know that in general this isn't used any more EXCEPT when the user is on a static IP.  IF @StevenP IS on static IP then that is going to be limiting the throughput.

NB could one of the mods confirm if Steven is posting from a static IP range please ?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @MisterW - I suspect that is linked to the DLM issue. I think the DLM has banded the account.

Once the fault is raised we'll be able to address this with our supplier.

Thanks.

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RandallFlagg what makes you think it's banded ?  It's synching at 40Mb and it has the maxiimum BT profile of 38.67Mb

StevenP
Dabbler

According to Member Centre > Connection Settings > Static IP: "Current Status: You are now using a static IP address"

I do remember having a static address when I first got FTTC in 2012 at my old address. Maybe it was ported over when I did a home move although the Member Centre has so many out-of-date settings, it's hard to tell and although it looks familiar, I can't be sure it's the same one.

@RandallFlagg If I have the same static IP I've had since 2012, will this have an effect on the slow speeds I'm getting?

Thanks to you and @MisterW for your help so far.

Steven

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@StevenP thanks for that. I"d be pretty sure that the static IP would remain on the account following the move. The incorrect details on the account are concerning though...

I'm assuming you're on the Unlimited Fibre (40/10) package as apposed  to the Unlimited Fibre Extra(80/20) . Is that correct ?

StevenP
Dabbler

Yes, the cabinet only has 40/10 available.

Steven

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

No cabinet has only 40/10 available, it all depends on your distance from the cabinet, I assume you are saying you cannot get above 40 Mbps because you are a fair distance away. It would seem that @RandallFlagg is not aware that if you have a static IP address the Plusnet line speed will restrict your throughput speed. The sync speed show that the line is certainly not banded. I would post here tomorrow and hope that you get a response from a more experienced staff member.Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@StevenP, apologies for the hassle. Give things another go and you should find everything is now how you would expect.

@MisterW and @RealAleMadrid are right on the money. The line profile our side needed aligning correctly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

StevenP
Dabbler

Yessssssss!! 34-37 Mbps downloads now. Thanks everyone!

Steven

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen Thanks for the intervention. I guess some of the newer staff aren't aware that the Current Line speed is still applicable to connections with static IP's.