Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre extra

rhann2015
Hooked

Upgraded to fibre extra

Hi

I recently upgraded to unlimited Fibre extra and before that I was on fibre and getting around 36mb download . My contract ran out so I’ve upgraded to the extra where it said I should be seeing at least 56mb download. I have noticed on my member centre messages all the product change has taken place but I have seen no difference in speeds ? Is the upgrade pretty quick or can it take time for the line to settle or the upgrade to take place ?
11 REPLIES 11
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Upgraded to fibre extra

Hi @rhann2015

I've just tested your line and you're currently in sync at 52mb/s - can you confirm whether the speed test you've undertaken is via a wired, ethernet device?

Thanks

Dave

rhann2015
Hooked

Hi

Wired test I am getting speed of 38-42mb down and using WiFi I get anywhere from 18-30mb down
Sayek
Hooked

My contract with Talktalk 38mb ended and they offered free upgrade to 76mb to renew it. I thought oh yeah free upgrade.

The speed actually reduced after the upgrade.Before I was getting steady 36+ on speedtest.

The new router sync speed was 48 but speed test was less than 30 both wired and wireless.

After complaining an Openreach engineer arrived at my house to investigate. He explained unless my line can sync 60+ don't pay any ISP above 38mb package as it will only cause issues as line is pushed to its limit and unstable.

On the 38mb package  my sync speed is 39 and I get 36+ on speed test for both wired or wireless as line is stable.

How can you loose 10+ between router sync and speedtest. Should be no more than couple with stable line Sad

Just my 2 cent Smiley 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are getting occasional irrecoverable errors requiring a retransmission you can lose a great deal on actual throughput.

On a stable line expect to lose up to 10% on protocol overhead.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

crimsom
Rising Star

Spoiler
After complaining an Openreach engineer arrived at my house to investigate. He explained unless my line can sync 60+ don't pay any ISP above 38mb package as it will only cause issues as line is pushed to its limit and unstable.

Hello @Sayek you can check your phone line for its ability to receive reliable Broadband services using the checker for Postal Address and/or the more accurate Telephone Number. This should reveal if your line can sync reliable 60+ Mbps. Kind regards. 

rhann2015
Hooked

This is what I get when I do a line test with those https://imgur.com/8ojIdDb

I’m guessing my line can only handle what I’m getting now. I thought it would be great because the housing estate I’m living on is 3 years old with brand new cabinets that were just switched onto the fibre last year.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That test will indicate the number of the FTTC cabinet you are connected to - it is printed on the front of the physical cabinet. It may be some distance away and the wiring between the cabinet and you may take a circuitous route.

You can ask Plusnet to do a line test which will give an approximate distance for the length of your phone line.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @rhann2015 wow that was a quick reply complete with an image of your check.

This check says your local box should give your line a download speed of between 66 to 80 Mbps.

Your "Downstream Handback Threshold" is 60 Mbps. Which is to say that if your download speed is less than this value, the ISP is obliged to consider the service as not acceptable and allow an order to be reversed without charge. 

Has PlusNet Support emailed you to say that your upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra has been implemented now that Open Reach has increased your line's download speed capability? 

Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @rhann2015 the telephone line test that you have undertaken says the local telephone cabinet and your line have already been changed to provide you with the anticipated 66Mbps Fibre Extra download speed.

It can take up to 10 days for a new broadband speed to become established. If your speed continues to be low, ask PlusNet if there is an unintentional profile speed cap on your line connection. The PlusNet profile should track any changes in the OpenReach profile. If your OpenReach profile had dropped in the past, the PlusNet profile MAY have got stuck at this lower level.

You are at liberty to investigate and find out why you are maxing out with a 42Mbps download speed. Please consider doing following:-
(1) Please check that your hardware postal package included the PlusNet Hub One, this has a 1000Mbps Ethernet and Wireless 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) dual band network hardware capability. 
(2) Please check that your laptop also has dual-band and is not imposing a reduction in network speed. Look at speed status of Window 10 Network Connections (Ethernet and Wireless). Have a look at Device Manager, expand Network adapters and search internet for their speed limitations.
For example: my 3 year new laptop now has a dual band ac 1200Mbps USB adapter (£10) because it originally came with just a 100Mbps Ethernet & Wireless b/g/n single band adaptor. 
(3) Please check that your household telephone wiring is not imposing a reduction in network speed. Unplug all of your phones from their sockets and plug your PlusNet Hub One directly into the master telephone socket
(4) Most of the hardware checks have now been completed. Please perform a broadband speed test at different times during the day to determine what is typical for your location.
With my wireless network speed of more than 550Mbps anywhere in the house, I did not put the wireless laptop next to the PlusNet Hub One at the master socket, or use an Ethernet connection. 

Hopefully you will then get the anticipated 66Mbps Fibre Extra download speed. Kind regards.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @rhann2015 

We can definitely see your line is under-performing and we're seeing a potential issue.

If your router is connected to the master telephone socket I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer to investigate this further for you.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @rhann2015 is there going to be a fibre extra status update to tell the community that your broadband speed is now compliant with your expectations? Kind regards.