Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre extra but wifi speeds are lower

RobJM
Grafter

Upgraded to fibre extra but wifi speeds are lower

Hi,

Got upgraded to fibre extra 80/20 from fibre 40/10 today, router settings and speedtests over ethernet confirm this.

However before upgrading I got pretty  much the full speed,  and my WiFi speeds , in same room as router were usually good at about 34 Mbps on 5G, but now my WiFi speed is only around 20?

Any ideas why this would be? I haven’t made any changes.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Upgraded to fibre extra but wifi speeds are lower

@RobJM  what does this https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband (you'll need to loin to the member centre ) say for 'Current line speed' ?

Weve seen a few occasions where its erroneously been set back to 21Mb (ADSL setting) on account change. If you have a static IP or have the PlusNet Firewall enabled then it will be restricting if its set to 21Mb

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobJM
Grafter

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply

My current line speed says 78Mb , which seems about right by ethernet speedtest, just the WiFi speeds have dropped.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobJM  the upgrade wont have changed anything regarding wifi settings. I was going to suggest changing wifi channels to avoid adjacent router interference but that isnt usually a problem with 5Ghz as the range is more limited.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobJM
Grafter

Yeah, it's odd , like I said , yesterday on 40/10 I could get 34MB , today on 80/20 I only get 20MB.

It would be an awful coincidence to get interference today, but checked with WiFi Analyzer app and everything seems as usual.

Just wondered if anyone else might have come across this.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange, I could understand if both wired and wireless give the same speed reduction , but if its only wireless then its odd!

As I said, nothing will have changed on your router, it will just have resynched when the upgrade happened.

RobJM
Grafter

I may be a dumbass:

Changed connection to non-5G , got speeds of 45/18, so that was an improvement. 

Changed back to 5G and got 64/18 

Maybe I just had to simply reconnect 😙

RobJM
Grafter

I dunno what's up , 5G wifi speeds back down to 22Mb , 2.4 still holding at 45Mb.