cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre connection

rileyelf
Hooked

Upgraded to fibre connection

My fibre upgrade completed yesterday, no sign of my new Plusnet router yet so I'm using my existing TPLink TP-WD9970 which is capable of VDSL2.

My old ADSL stopped working on the update day but I cannot connect to VDSL....   Now, if I tell my Modem to search for any xDSL sync it will select ADSL but no data can be transmitted, if I manually tell it to search for VDSL it will not connect at all.

Can you suggest anything to try?

Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Upgraded to fibre connection

You haven't been upgraded yet if your router still syncs on ADSL. What notification did you get that the upgrade was complete? I got an email saying your product change has completed but it only applied to the broadband account and not the actual connection. It seems strange that your ADSL is no longer working, something has been changed but looks like BT Openreach have got something wrong. You need help from the forum staff.

rileyelf
Hooked

Thanks for your help.  Yes, I got an email on the day it was due to complete (11th) saying that product change is complete and outlining the username etc.  the Order Tracker in the member centre says it's complete.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems connecting @rileyelf,

Looking at your account, your fibre order did complete on the 11th as expected. Testing the connection shows authentication attempts, but shows the connection out of sync with advice stating the router is potentially not configured correctly.

Could you confirm that all of the following settings are correct in your router:

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@rileyelf If all else fails go through the quick setup on the 9970 as in the example here http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup there should be a PlusNet_VDSL option in the ISP list. Select that and it will set the VLAN correctly. Then all you need to do is eneter your username/password as described by @HarryB

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rileyelf
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try again tonight.

I have tried setting it up manually and using the Quick setup, neither worked...  What worries me is that if I tell the router to autosync (not tell it which modulation scheme to use) it will connect to ADSL, if my understanding is correct when the change to Fiber happened ADSL should have been turned off at the exchange.

Will have a play again tonight.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

if my understanding is correct when the change to Fiber happened ADSL should have been turned off at the exchange.

Your understanding IS correct. AFAIK an FTTC upgrade would involve un-patching the line from ADSL at the exchange and then patching the line at the cabinet to the adjacent FTTC cabinet  If it is still synching on ADSL then it sounds like the Fibre install hasn't been done correctly.Sad

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rileyelf
Hooked

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I doubt there is much more you can do from your end.  Hopefully a staff member will be along soon to check out what's going on with your account.

I see @Gandalf is on line today.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Testing the connection shows authentication attempts, but shows the connection out of sync with advice stating the router is potentially not configured correctly.

I'm not quite sure I understand how that is happening...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I was just about to post a similar query. 

@HarryB If the OP has only has ADSL sync how can authentication attempts have been made, then you say the router is out of sync which would also prevent authentication. Something not quite adding up here.

@rileyelf  When the router is connected can you get the connection speeds and mode from the stats, this may help confirm the actual connection type.

rileyelf
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid

Here's a screen grab when connected to ADSL....

screen shot wifi.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The line is testing as fibre.

Sync Status Out Of Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

If your router advises it's in sync at ADSL, it's likely to be a cross jumpering issue.

I'd recommend reporting this to us at http://faults.plus.net so that we can arrange an engineer.

Let us know once you've done that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'd hazard a guess that BT hasn't completed the work at the cabinet correctly.  Needs a staff member to verify with BTOR.

Sorry @Gandalf  posts overlapped.

rileyelf
Hooked

Thanks @Gandalf I have just completed the fault reporter.

Andy M