cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre. When should I see speed increases?

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Upgraded to fibre. When should I see speed increases?

I've been on ADSL with PN for years and finally got around to ordering an upgrade to the (38mbps) fibre service on Sunday. The new Hub One router arrived on Thursday and I got an email in the early hours of Friday to say "Your broadband product change is now complete". I connected the new router yesterday (Friday) evening but so far am still seeing exactly the same 11-12mbps download and ~1mbps upload speeds that I always have.

When should I see fibre speeds? I assumed the 'product change complete' email meant that an engineer has been to the local exchange to connect us to fibre. Is that not the case? Am I just being impatient?

9 REPLIES 9
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Upgraded to fibre. When should I see speed increases?

The Email , Just tells you PN have changed your Billing £££££

I will not necessarily mean you have been connected , what date did they give you for the start ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Andrue
Pro

@sallonoroff wrote:

I assumed the 'product change complete' email meant that an engineer has been to the local exchange to connect us to fibre. Is that not the case? Am I just being impatient?

No you've just been misled. Many people have had the same experience with Plusnet. Hopefully the actually work will occur in the next few days. If not there's the possibility that your profile hasn't been reset. Give until Tuesday so that we're past the weekend.

Sadly this kind of thing is typical of the Plusnet experience. The good news is that once your service has actually gone live it'll usually run well.

sallonoroff
Rising Star

@rongtw wrote:

The Email , Just tells you PN have changed your Billing £££££

I will not necessarily mean you have been connected , what date did they give you for the start ?

Thanks for the quick reply, rongtw. I don't think i've received anything confirming a start date. Only emails have been about the dispatch of the new router and the 'product change complete' email mentioned before. Just looked at my account in the Member Centre and can't see anything relevant in there either.

sallonoroff
Rising Star

@Andrue wrote:

No you've just been misled. Many people have had the same experience with Plusnet. Hopefully the actually work will occur in the next few days. If not there's the possibility that your profile hasn't been reset. Give until Tuesday so that we're past the weekend.

Sadly this kind of thing is typical of the Plusnet experience. The good news is that once your service has actually gone live it'll usually run well.

I definitely think plusnet need to improve the clarity of their communications. A simple email with a short timetable to set expectations wouldn't go amiss. Originally I probably didn't expect to get fibre within 5 working days... but i've definitely gotten a bit impatient since seeing that 'change complete' email.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See the last paragraph in the section Communicating with Plusnet in this post.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sallonoroff
Rising Star

@jelv wrote:

See the last paragraph in the section Communicating with Plusnet in this post.

Hahaha. Well, glad to have reinforced your exact point. Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@sallonoroff ,

Have a look at the BT wholesale checker as in the solution on this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Still-waiting-despite-what-the-computer-promised/m-p/1391083#...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Andrue
Pro

@sallonoroff wrote:

I definitely think plusnet need to improve the clarity of their communications. A simple email with a short timetable to set expectations wouldn't go amiss.

Yup. Sadly it's been this way at least as long as I've been a member (coming up to four years now). If anything it's got worse over the years. The reason I stay is because of a 99% reliable service and because of the good work I see from the staff and other forum regulars that post here.

But if the day ever arrives when my connection underperforms for more than a couple of days and it looks like I have to resort to talking to customer service..that'll probably be the day when I jump ship. Luckily I'm well out of contract so can do so whenever I want at no cost Smiley

sallonoroff
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Plusnet have now been in touch (via an existing twitter conversation) to tell me I should have fibre by 5th Dec.

*keeps fingers crossed*