cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra, but sync speed no different or download speed change

Stewea
Hooked

Upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra, but sync speed no different or download speed change

Hi,

I upgraded my plan, which was activated today, but unfortunately I can see no change in my download speed.

I have reset my router and rebooted it several times today, but there has been no change in speed.

Is it that my line will not go any faster, is in the realms of crosstalk or is there a fault on my line preventing it from syncing any higher?

I have a new master socket installed by Openreach around two months ago with the built in filter faceplate and nothing else plugged into the socket.

I am starting to wonder whether it is worth going for the “Extra” package now if there is no speed benefit.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra, but sync speed no different or download speed change

@Stewea Welcome to the forums.

Given the data rate showing on your Hub One, you have an issue which needs to be looked at.  Your speed is below the estimates for your line.

I would suggest that you follow the https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-FTTC/ba-p/1322788 which includes the link to logging a fault.

When that fault is fixed, the estimated speeds only show a maximum of 46Mbps so you might be paying too much by having the Fibre Extra as it will only give a few more Mbps than the normal Fibre. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra, but sync speed no different or download speed change

Hi @Stewea,

I see you've started going through the broadband troubleshooter at https://faults.plus.net and while I'd certainly recommend continuing with this, as the speeds are lower than I'd expect for your connection, I'm not confident you'll actually see an increase by upgrading from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra, as the estimates for your line are 33-46.4Mbps download and 5.5-8Mbps upload.

As Unlimited Fibre is provisioned on 40down 10up, and extra is provisioned on 80down 20up, the most I'd expect to see in an ideal scenario for your line, in terms of sync, would be an extra 6.4Mbps on download and no change to upload. With this in mind, I'd be happy to make sure your account is reverted back to the previous contract/package.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Stewea
Hooked

Hi @HarryB, thanks for the response.

I could not complete the troubleshooter due to not having an Openreach modem.

I’m happy to be moved back to my old plan if I cannot achieve the higher speeds of the “Extra” plan.

But can anything be done to improve my sync speed?

Thanks,

Stewea

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Stewea,

Thanks for getting back to us. We would be happy to arrange for you account to be updated, and I have responded with more on that here. Please can you update the ticket with your response and let us know when you have done that.

In regards to the speed if you haven't done so already, I would remove the face plate of your Master socket and set up your router directly into the socket with a microfilter. A guide on how to do this can be found here.

If at that point the speed has not improved, I would recommend continue raising the fault by the site mentioned in Harry's post to the end and letting us know once completed.

If you are using the router we have sent, the modem is already built in and would suggest skipping the steps referring to the modem, choosing the option relating to it has not fixed the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Stewea
Hooked

Hi @SammyM & @HarryB,

I patched into the master socket with a micro filter and the sync speed was lower still, although only by 1Mbps.

So it looks like my internal wiring is good, and it should be as it’s CAT6A.

Please let me know if anymore tests are required.

Stewea

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for carrying that out.

At this stage, it's most likely going to be an engineer visit.

I'll update your fault shortly

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team