cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre however no change in speed?

aliferste

Upgraded to Fibre however no change in speed?

I kinda knew it was too good to be true 🙂

After waiting an age Fibre finally became available in my area and I was upgraded on Friday. Unfortunately I am not seeing any difference at all, I am still sitting at DSL speeds of around 4-8meg. Support tell me that it should improve over the ten days however by 25meg? 

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Upgraded to Fibre however no change in speed?

Hi,

Yes - support are spouting hogwash - there is no such thing as a 10 day stabilisation period with FTTC - see here from PN's own guide to FTTC.  Upon being fist provisioned, the service is initially put on an open profile and monitored for 2 days.

What I suspect here is that the PN profile has not been updated from its prior ADSL value because BTw's systems have not reported the change to PlusNet ... which is not an uncommon issue.

Run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Does you router / modem disclose the line synch rate?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aliferste

Hmmm, 

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 30Mb and 40Mb) - Checked on 2017-04-29 10:56:42

Current line speed:9.9 Mb

How does the Plusnet profile get updated from its prior adsl value ? and would this actually get me the 30-40 meg?

Many thanks 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Type over this you call PN / raise a  chat session to get the PN profile updated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aliferste

Eak, contacted support and did lots of tests. They say nothing wrong with profiles etc however we could not try plugging in to test socket as what I believe to be my master socket does not have one. Tried the other socket in the house as well. 

However current speed is reported now as:

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 30Mb and 40Mb) - Checked on 2017-04-29 10:56:42

Current line speed:37 Mb

My speed results now show around 11mb though!

Passed to the faults team - I sense an engineer visit!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If your current line speed is 37Mbps, then how are you testing? Wifi or wired?

Are you able to log into the router and let us know the sync and max attainable speeds from the helpdesk tab?

aliferste

I used a wired connection. 

This is the info from the helpdesk 

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:  
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 10:53:51
6. Data rate: 1525 / 12406
7. Maximum data rate: 1524 / 12388
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation: 42.3 / 27.6
10. Signal attenuation: 40.2 / 21.9
11. Data sent/received: 112.1 MB / 3.3 GB
12. Broadband username:  
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: EvilAliens5GHz
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: a4:08:f5:93:26:24
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

That confirms you have been upgraded to FTTC.

Your current sync speeds are well below the estimate though.

however we could not try plugging in to test socket as what I believe to be my master socket does not have one. Tried the other socket in the house as well.

That's not good, as ideally you need to eliminate your internal wiring as being the cause of the low speeds.

Perhaps you could explain what's connected to each socket and maybe some photos of the sockets..

aliferste

Both sockets have a T on them at the lower right hand corner. Both have filters on them, my phone was plugged in upstairs but now is not. We have lived in the house for a few years and before us it was an elderly person.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@aliferste

It can be the wiring which causes problems - not what's connected to an extension.

Do your sockets look like any in the following two links.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

There is also the possibility that the "Bell wire" is still connected. The following gives some details. It may well depend on your sockets as to whether you can do anything about this.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Brian