Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre extra with no change in connection speed

FIXED
FibreMike
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Upgraded to Fibre extra with no change in connection speed

On 23rd June I upgraded from fibre to fibre extra. My hub one router, before the upgrade, was reporting 38.17 mbps download and 9.9 Mbps upload. Nearly 2 months after the upgrade the connection speed is the same. I phoned customer support and they told me that I'm on fibre extra. Also my min guaranteed speed of 31mbps was been achieved. I'm not convinced that I have been switched from the 40/10 to the 80/20 profile. When I run the BT wholesale speed test with further diags it tells me my IP profile is 36.96mbps and 10mbps. Looking at the forums I get the impression that my upload profile should be 20mbps if I'm on the fibre extra product. Can you confirm if I'm on the 80/20 fibre extra, the results of a GEA Test would be useful. Many thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Upgraded to Fibre extra with no change in connection speed

Hi @FibreMike

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear that you haven't been experiencing the speeds that you would expect on the Fibre Extra product.

Having looked through your account and checked the service for your line and it appears that everything on your account is correct however supplier systems shows a 40/10 setup. Speeds for your line look to vary on the supplier systems up to 58Mbps download and 12Mbps upload.

I have arranged the upgrade on our supplier systems and have sent more details on a ticket on your account

Once again I apologise that this appears to have not been processed correctly for you.

FibreMike
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply. The connection speeds you mention are more in line with the rates I'm expecting as they agree with the high rates reported by the BT Broadband Availability Checker. I'll check my connection speed on Monday night and hopefully I will be clicking the 'fixed' button. I must say that so far the forum experience is far better than the telephone; especially concerning technical issues. Though the telephone customer service where good at sorting out my billing over charge error. Cheers.

FibreMike
Dabbler

Monday my connection speed changed slightly. The connection speed reported by hub one is now 39.56 Mbps download and 9.728 Mbps Upload. So and small improvement with the download speed and a smaller drop in the upload speed. When I run the further diagnostics on the BT wholesale test I get the following. Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.17 Mbps, IP Profile for your line is - 38.29 Mbps, Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.38Mbps Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps. So It looks like I'm now on Fibre Extra according to the wholesale test. Though I'm intrigued to how the wholesale further diagnostics test is giving a speed almost twice that of the upload speed reported by the router. Almost the first part of the BT test reported 8.62 Mbps. I wondering whether to give the connection a bit more time to sort itself or to reboot the router. Though it looks like it must have rebooted when my profile was changed from 40/10 to 80/20 (or is it 40/20?) based on the connection time reported by the router. The connection looks stable on the Ookla speed test.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @FibreMike,

I've reviewed the account today and it appears that, although the modify order completed, you still appear to be limited to 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up. As this is the case, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to go ahead to investigate further. I've raised a ticket response regarding this which can be read and responded to here. Once you've had the chance to respond, please let us know so that we can pick this back up for review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
FibreMike
Dabbler

I connected the hub one router to the rest socket and rebooted the router. The router then report just over 41Mbps down and just over 10Mbps up. The speed test showed roughly a 1Mbps increase in both upload and download. I'll respond on the ticket you raised tomorrow or Friday.
Cheers.
FibreMike
Dabbler

I meant test socket not rest. Looking at the connection report on the router this evening it is showing a download of 47.02 Mbps and an upload of 9.724 Mbps. So I think I'll leave things for a few days to see if the connection speeds get any higher before calling out an engineer.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @FibreMike

Thanks for getting back to us and as you said you will keep an eye over the course of the next few days. If you need any more assistance with this just respond on this thread and we will be happy to assist if required.

FibreMike
Dabbler

The router rebooted last night and re-negotiated a better download speed. I'm now syncing at 51.07 Mbps download and 9.317 Mbps up. Also the BT Wholesale Further Diagnostics is now agreeing on the upload speed rather than been over-optimistic at 16 Mbps (20 Mbps profile). The actual download/upload speeds are roughly 90% of the sync speed. So hopefully in a few more days the speed will have improved a little more as the connection seems pretty stable at the current sync rate.

FibreMike
Dabbler

Fix
It's around two week since the change of profile and the router is reporting around 56Mbps download and nearly 10Mbps upload. This is, according to the BT broadband availabilty checker, is as good as I can expect for download. Upload could improve slightly, however the download is the main consideration for me so it looks like the tech guys on this forum have fixed it. Cheers. So if you need anything technical sorting this is the place to come don't bother with the telephone helpline. If it's a billing problem then the telephone helpline is good. Once again many thanks to the excellent Plusnet staff on this forum.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @FibreMike, thank you for getting back in touch.

We are so glad that the issue has now been resolved and we really do appreciate the kind feedback regarding the people who have contributed to the thread. I will also pass on your feedback regarding technical helpline support for quality purposes.

Please let us know if anything changes in the futures.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team