cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre extra but speeds still capped at 36Mb. Would a "remote DLM reset" cure it?

FIXED
win10-64
Dabbler

Re: Upgraded to Fibre extra but speeds still capped at 36Mb. Would a "remote DLM reset" c

Speeds are the same as last week of approx. 41Mbps but I was not asking whether I am on the 80mb profile as I was already put on that last week but was asking if there was any update on the progress of the DLM reset. 

@Gandalf knows about it and hopefully will be able to give a update soon. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Upgraded to Fibre extra but speeds still capped at 36Mb. Would a "remote DLM reset" c

Unfortunately there's not much more we can do remotely, we've no way of tracking the progress of a DLM reset for FTTC, so we have to assume it was either carried out and didn't do anything, or the request was rejected by our suppliers.

To progress the fault we'd need to arrange an engineer visit for further investigation but there's a possibility that they may say that the line is performing within expectations and that there's no fault.

If you'd like to go ahead, please can you reply to this ticket with your availability? Let us know over here once you've done so and we'll be happy to book the appointment in for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
win10-64
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply @Gandalf.

It does not seem like the DLM reset has taken place as it would have reset the connection at least once if it had I would think.  The DLM has applied INP of 3 and Delay of 8ms to the line so if the DLM had of been reset maybe that would have been removed also. 

There would be no point in getting a engineer out as like you said they would not see it as a fault even its really little more than the speeds of normal fibre not the extra. 

I thought it was going to be a simple process of getting the attainable sync rate of 53Mb my modem stats reports but does not seem to be.  After the switch to the extra profile my sync rate changed from 40Mb to 45Mb on my modem but really only getting 41Mb with a BT IP profile of 41Mb when I run the BT wholesale speed test. 

Will just have to go back to the normal fibre if nothing extra can be done to remove the cap which does look to be on BT's side. There would be no point paying extra for little increase in speed. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

If the DLM has not been reset could it be that the disconnects you introduced less than two weeks ago have yet to be rectified by the automatic DLM operation, so all it needs is a bit more patience? Are you monitoring the SNR to see if there's any movement?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

win10-64
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 the Snr usually goes between 5.9 to 6.2 but yes it will take patience.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

While the banding on your line is showing at 40mbps still, your sync rate and throughput is higher, so it's unlikely anything is restricting this. However, I've asked my faults colleague to add your account to the DLM reset tracker again.

Let us know how things go towards the end of next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
win10-64
Dabbler

Looks like the DLM reset was done this time yesterday @Gandalf and the sync rate is approx the attainable rate now. (as seen in the pic attached) 

INP seems to be a lot higher at 47 now compared to 3 before but the delay of 8ms is removed. Line seems stable so far. 

Not sure why the BT profile is always about 4Mb below the sync rate though.  (Bt profile approx 48Mb sync 52Mb) I thought on the 36Mb package it was 4Mb lower than the 40Mb sync rate because of it only being a 36Mb package but it does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for getting it sorted out.  I thought it would and that is why I kept asking.  

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The IP profile is about 92% of the sync speed if 'retransmission high' is enabled, which seems to be the case for your line. The lower level of retransmission (or G.Inp) for less error prone lines has a profile of about 97% of sync speed, giving better throughput speed. There is not much you can do about it as it is set by the automatic DLM system which works in mysterious ways.Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear it looks like the DLM reset was carried out and your speeds have improved. Thumbs_Up

It looks like the banding is now set correctly at: "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

Regarding the profile it's as @RealAleMadrid has said, it'll always be a little lower than your sync rate due to the way that broadband works.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

[edit]

By the way I’m sorry for doubting that the DLM reset would work. If at first you don’t succeed, I now know to try twice. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
win10-64
Dabbler

It's fine @Gandalf.  It was difficult getting others to understand on phone about the first problem of the profile not changing when I upgraded to fibre extra and then the remote DLM reset request but thankfully you knew about it and was able to help.

I thought it would work as I asked your suppliers to do a DLM reset many years ago when a engineer was out to my house and it brought the line back up to the full speed then.  At that time there was no remote DLM reset but good to see it works now as long as we both keep trying. Smiley   

I did think that the remote DLM reset had not been done the first time by the line not resyncing or the delay latency in ms not reset to 0 from 8ms so it was worth trying again. Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

It's a mystery as to why it didn't work the first time, but all's well that ends well. Cool

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet