cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre Extra

Denisi007
Hooked

Upgraded to Fibre Extra

Hi, we upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra about a week ago from Unlimited Fibre but there has been no increase in speeds.

Our router says connection is:

Downstream: 34.07 Mbps
Upstream: 901 Kbps

Please advise!

Kind Regards,

Denis

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Upgraded to Fibre Extra

If your line will support fibre extra then I would expect you to be getting better than this on standard fibre. If you put your telephone number in here what speed does it say your line will support? https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Denisi007
Hooked

Thanks for your quick response.

I’ve attached a picture of the results, looks promising?Huh

Baldrick1

There is something clearly wrong with your connection. Your download speed is low and upload totally wrong. How are you testing, wired or wireless?

This needs sorting before worrying about the upgrade.

Moderator and Customer

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The estimates certainly look promising and the order to upgrade the asset does appear to have completed, however you do unfortunately seem to be getting slower speed than we'd expect, especially given the estimates for your line.

Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
It may also be worth connecting to the test socket to try and rule out issues caused by internal wiring. More information on this can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
If you continue to experience problems after this, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://faults.plus.net

Thanks -Harry

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Denisi007
Hooked

Thanks for your suggestion,

The readings from the test socket are a little more reasonable now :]

Downstream: 37.33 Mbps
Upstream: 5.209 Mbps

I've just looked at our setup and someone has left the micro-filter out of the setup. We don't have a telephone connected so they've plugged the router in directly. I think it is but is the micro-filter necessary despite not having a phone connected?

Our router is the PlusNet Hub One from 2014, is there any upgraded version of this that you can dispatch?

Thanks,

Denis

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unless the phone socket is pre-filtered, you should use a micro-filter on the socket if you're connecting broadband equipment to (If the phone signal comes down the line, despite there being no house phone, it still needs filtering off somewhere, basically)

I'd recommend adding the filter in to the equation, and then monitor over the next couple of days for improvements.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Denisi007 wrote:

I've just looked at our setup and someone has left the micro-filter out of the setup. We don't have a telephone connected so they've plugged the router in directly. I think it is but is the micro-filter necessary despite not having a phone connected?

How on earth have they managed that, the connectors should not be compatible? I can only assume that some-one has used an old telephone connecting cable. You need to plug a filter in to the test socket and then use the DSL cable that came with the Hub One.

The Hub One hardware has not been updated by Plusnet. The firmware should be being automatically updated by Plusnet over the net. So you should have the latest offering by Plusnet already.

Your upload still looks very low to me. Both are unacceptable for a fibre extra connection. Hopefully things will improve with you connecting the router correctly.

Moderator and Customer

Denisi007
Hooked

Excuse me!

There is an ADSL Extender cable [at least 5m, probably 10m or 20m] which was running from the window to the other side of the room.

Filter was at the end of the extender near the router.

I removed this extended and put the router near the wall. The DSL cable is a good 10m so I will buy a shorter one of those as well.

Downstream: 42.47 Mbps
Upstream: 7.636 Mbps

This is our new speed. The configuration which I made a few years ago is:

-> PlusNet Hub One used as a router with the WiFi channels disabled.

-> TP-Link Archer C5 Router connected via Gigabit to the Hub One which serves all of our WiFi Clients, assigned a static IP with an indefinite lease.

Would a slightly "better" router make this connection speed faster?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Denisi007

I can't comment on the router aspect of your query, however I'm pleased that the speeds have improved.

If possible, get the Hub One plugged directly into the test socket and continue to monitor the speed over the next couple of days - if the recent improvement doesn't continue, please let us know.

Best wishes

Dave

Baldrick1

Have you switched DHCP off on the Archer access point? If noy then this might be causing you problems.

However back to your problem, you need to eliminate all potential problems within your property. You need to temporarily move your router back to the master socket. There connect it to the test socket using the filter and test your speed with a computer via an Ethernet cable.  

If you haven't got a power outlet at the router position then temporarily use a mains extender.

Moderator and Customer