cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre Extra but no speed increase

willives999

Re: Upgraded to Fibre Extra but no speed increase

Max 52Mbps, which my neighbors next door is getting.

The 32Mbps is what was advertised when I originally signed up for Fibre a couple of years ago.

It started out at 14-15, the engineer came out, found no faults. He said he thought someone hadn't entered the correct settings somewhere, then after he reported back, it was fixed.

I only decided to upgrade to Extra because I knew all my neighbors (we're in a terrace of bungalows that run off the same line) were up to 50+ Mbps.....wish I hadn't bothered now.
willives999

To be exact VDSL Range B (Impacted) Max 52.3 Mbps, Min 31.8Mpbs
jcer947
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Quick update.

I know I was asked not to reply to this thread but just to praise Plusnet, my speed has now significantly increased.

Regards.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @willives999 I'm sorry for the issues you're having. I've taken a look into this for you today and in all honesty as always you wouldn't see a benefit on the fibre extra package as you weren't hitting the cap on the basic fibre package. When you upgrade a fibre package, all this does is release the cap from 40mbps to 80mbps.

We can see your router's sync speed was around the 32mbps mark before you upgraded which ties in with what you've said. The "Current Line Speed (Download)" you can see is a bit of a red herring and a profile from a bygone era.

This is meant to match the IP profile of a line, which in turn matches the speed your router physically sync's at with the cabinet. We've no control over the physical raw sync speed your router gets.

Upon the completion of the product change to fibre extra on your account, this Current Line Speed (named 'connection profile' internally) was automatically reset to a standard broadband speed for one reason or another. I've fixed that for you now, however due to the way your service routes across our network, this has absolutely no impact on your speed. 

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing you were on the following DLM (Dynamic Line Management) profile at the cabinet (The green box in the road) as of the 13th March: 

"0.128M-40M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Retransmission Low"

I've checked another system and the tests are showing as of yesterday you're on the following DLM profile:

"Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with Retransmission (Low)"

There's one difference, you were previously on a 3dB SNRM target. The lower the SNRM the higher your speed. The DLM software was artificially boosting your speed up by lowering the SNRM target.

When your fibre service was upgraded to fibre extra, this began a DLM reset which meant that you've been automatically moved on to a 6dB SNR target which is the norm. 

In time, it's possible that the DLM will move you back down to 3dB however we've no influence over this I'm afraid. 

There's definitely appears to be a fault somewhere, because you were before and you are still now below the expectations of your line shown on the BT Broadband Availability Checker Here which states your line should be able to achieve between 37.2mbps and 55mps. Unfortunately the only way to investigate this is through an engineer.

I've added a bit more detail on to your ticket with another option.

I do hope this helps clarify things.

Thanks for getting back to us @jcer947

I'm glad to see your speed has increased now.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Higgi
Dabbler

Now the 26th still no difference.
Higgi
Dabbler

How do i cancel this order
Higgi
Dabbler

Just to add my speeds now dropping below my guaranteed speed
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Higgi 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

Like above you upgraded your fibre service when you weren't hitting the 40mbps cap of your original package. The speeds you were and currently getting are within the expectations of your line we advised you of during the product change.

We simply provided you with the choice should you wish to take it.

I've added a reply onto your ticket 200244266 with more information.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet