cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded package (Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Unlimited Extra) yet no difference in speeds.

ErTnEc
Grafter

Upgraded package (Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Unlimited Extra) yet no difference in speeds.

I've just upgraded my package, to which I got the email last night to say it had completed, yet it appears my sync speeds are still capped to the old speeds.

I was originally on an 80/20 connection with Plusnet which I downgraded in 2017 to 36/10, but have now upgraded again but my speeds are still stuck.

My modem is reporting it syncing at 40000kbps down / 9999kbps up (as it did on the 36/10 connection). I've tried resetting the modem, disconnecting it for a bit & plugging it back in, but my speeds don't change.

Do I need to request a DLM reset on my line? Nothing has changed since I was last on 80/20...

Cheers
33 REPLIES 33
abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Re: Upgraded package (Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Unlimited Extra) yet no difference in speeds.

Hi @ErTnEc, thanks for getting in touch.

It looks like your account has changed over to Unlimited Fibre Extra which has subsequently sent you the email to advise the change over has complete, however it's not due to fully switch over on our supplier system until 30/05/2019. I do apologise you have been sent the email too soon, you should notice a change in speeds tomorrow.

I hope this helps but if you need anything else, just let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
ErTnEc
Grafter

Re: Upgraded package (Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Unlimited Extra) yet no difference in speeds.

Cheers for clearing that up @abails0105.  Just odd that all the emails I received said 29th in them, there was no mention of the 30th anywhere...

Anyway, it looks as though that's sorted now & speeds have increased.

Question now, previously on my line (when I last had 80/20 with yourselves before I downgraded in 2017) I had a high resistance fault which wouldn't clear, is there any way to check to see if this is still an issue?  I think I've worked out (my side) what is causing this so looking at resolving this come the weekend, but would just like to confirm whether there is still something showing, and if I clear this, hopefully should see a boost in my sync speeds again, as I know prior to this fault originally rearing its ugly head, I was syncing much closer to 80mb...

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @ErTnEc 

We are not detecting any fault at the moment in time, but your router is only syncing at roughly 51Mbps which is below the estimates we have been provided for the line. 

Can you set the router into your Test Socket (info on how to locate and do this can be found here) then run a speed test and let us know so we can do some further investigation from this side? 

Thanks, 

MoR

ErTnEc
Grafter

Hi

Yeah I will test it with the Test Socket once I'm back at home later on, I can see that the modem is showing an attainable rate of 60091kbps but syncing only at 51889kbps (d/s).  I've not power cycled it yet but for now I will reboot it remotely to see if this helps .  I've not had chance to power cycle it fully since the rates changed at 01:44 last night.

*update*

Restarted remotely, attainable rate has dropped to 59203kbps and sync to 51360kbps following the restart.  Noise levels seem to be the same & not changed.

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 12.28.38.png

ErTnEc
Grafter

Further update.

Looks like since rebooting the modem, that even though I'm syncing at a good speed, My downloads are being capped at 20mbps (the drop at 14:25 was because I rebooted the modem again):

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 14.31.28.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

As your sync speed is slower than expected I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as we'll need to arrange an engineer to investigate this further. If you can nudge us over here once you've reported the fault we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can.

With regards to your throughput being capped at 20mbps it looks like the speed profile on your account reset itself to 21mbps yesterday for some reason and when you rebooted your router just now it's kicked in.

I've nudged this back up to 51mbps, if you can reboot your router once more you should see a higher speed again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ErTnEc
Grafter

Cheers @Gandalf I've just checked now, and it is back up to speed again.  I've a few things to sort out my end today/tomorrow, but I will get a fault raised as soon as possible to try and resolve this.

The last time I had an engineer visit (waaaay back in 2017) he did do a lift&shift on my line due to other issues, but hoping it won't be anything as drastic as this.  For reference, my house is connected to the cab via underground cables & not overhead.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the detail, no problem.

Let us know if you need any further assistance Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ErTnEc
Grafter

So I've swapped out some kit my side which I know was causing some high resistance/feedback internally.  Since then the SNR has gone to a steady 5dB and no longer seems to be constantly fluctuating +-2dB.

Sync speeds are still coming through at 51Mbps, and attainable rate is also still showing as 59Mbps.  I'll leave it to settle a bit more & then raise a fault as mentioned earlier due to the sync speed being lower than your minimum estimate.

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 51611000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 19999000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 59053016 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 22835000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :        Fast 
   DS Interleave Depth     :      752       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       17 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        5  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     7. 3 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 9  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :   381267
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :   343616
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : fe004452       ITU Version[1]       : 41590000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support] 
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE 
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :       21 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004244       CO ITU Version[1]    : 434da48c
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < BDCM >

Out of interest, is it worth perhaps doing a DLM reset to see if this brings it up prior to booking the fault/engineer?

Cheers

ErTnEc
Grafter

Tweaking the delta seem's to have bumped me up to 59mb sync / 68mb attainable:

> vdsl snr

Usage:
vdsl snr [delta]
  delta: SNR margin delta. The SNR margin delta should range from -50 to 50.
  delta=1 means 0.1dB.
  Current VDSL SNR Margin is 3 dB.
  Current VDSL SNR Margin delta setting is -25.
> vdsl status

DS Actual Rate          : 59375000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 19999000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 68673880 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 22680000 bps
   DS Interleave Depth     :      864       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       17 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        3  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     7. 2 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 9  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :   381273
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :   343622
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        2
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support] 
   Far Current Attenuation :       21 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        7  dB

I'll leave it at -25 for now, see how it goes & try and tweak it further.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

An SNR reset would only be possible with an engineer visit but by the time we could get one out to you DLM may have run it's course as intended anyway. 

I'd see how things go for now and do keep us posted. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ErTnEc
Grafter

Yeah, fair point, I'll leave it now for a little while (the weekend) and follow it up come Monday

I've dropped the delta back to 0 now, so syncing back at 52mbps with attainable at 60mbps.  I was seeing a higher rate of FEC errors at the lower SNR setting (still see them with no tweaking but at a much reduced frequency), but no drops or spikes in response times either way.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @ErTnEc

Let us know how it goes please on Monday to see how things are.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
ErTnEc
Grafter

So the openreach engineer visited today, nice enough chap, had a good chat...  Anyway...

He performed some tests on the line, the line itself was fine, no real issues he could see with the quality of the line, but he was seeing a high rate of CRC's on the VDSL2 tests when bare wire testing at the master socket, so ended up checking through the line (same test at the cab, then at the point where the line comes in the house) and ended up cutting & recrimping the join as looked to be an issue there (there was also corrosion on the old connection).  This seem'd to improve sync speed slightly, but did end up sorting out the CRC errors.

Syncing now at around 52Mbps, but FEC's are still being seen (although nowhere near as bad) and line is syncing with an SNR of 6dB, which reduces to 5dB.  Still a few high pings & timeouts coming through, which is annoying and does have a noticeable effect on watching things on Netflix or Youtube when it happens...

He also replaced the NTE5a+MK3 master socket with a new NTE5c+MK4 one, which I'm already having issues with...  The faceplate keeps falling off, I've had to bend the retaining lugs outwards on the body for it to even lock into place, and I just know that it will fall off again...  So not happy about that so far, and if it keeps popping off I hope that this can be sorted out properly...

As for stats:

DS Actual Rate          : 52778000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 19999000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 60983016 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 22726000 bps
   DS Interleave Depth     :      769       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       17 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     7. 3 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 9  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :   384266
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :   346377
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        2
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-09-0F-01-07   [with Vectoring support] 
   Far Current Attenuation :       21 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        7  dB
                  Near End        Far End    Note
 Trellis      :      1               1
 Bitswap      :      1               1
 ReTxEnable   :      0               0
 VirtualNoise :      0               0
 20BitSupport :      0               0
 LatencyPath  :      0               0
 LOS          :      0               0
 LOF          :      2               0
 LPR          :      0               0
 LOM          :      0               0
 SosSuccess   :      0               0
 NCD          :      0               0
 LCD          :      0               0
 FECS         :    646            992225 (seconds)
 ES           :      0            346378 (seconds)
 SES          :      0              42 (seconds)
 LOSS         :      0               0 (seconds)
 UAS          :     44            23954 (seconds)
 HECError     :      0               0
 CRC          :      0            384267
 RsCorrection :      0               0
 INP          :      0              15 (symbols)
 InterleaveDelay :      0             800 (1/100 ms)
 NFEC         :    254              85
 RFEC         :     16              16
 LSYMB        :   5374            16332
 INTLVBLOCK   :    127              85
 AELEM        :      0            ----

He didn't perform a DLM reset, so I'm still stuck with interleaving for now, but I'm hoping since he sorted out the CRC's at least, that DLM may end up turning that back off in the near future...