cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from normal broadband to super fast fibre, but still getting old speeds

WayneF

Upgraded from normal broadband to super fast fibre, but still getting old speeds

Online chat is working again now and have been in contact with them. Edited post to remove question... 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

14 REPLIES 14
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Upgraded from normal broadband to super fast fibre, but still getting old speeds

Online chat can be blocked by security settings in browsers. If you are using Ghostery or Adblock+ or equivalent systems then try turning them off and see if that gives you access to the chat system.

WayneF

Re: Upgraded from normal broadband to super fast fibre, but still getting old speeds

I used it the other day and it was fine, it's not my computer or ipad

WayneF

But anyway, that's the least of my problems... I'm paying for something I'm not getting... I want it sorting

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@WayneF

You may want to edit out your username in the first post. Plusnet staff can ask you to PM the details to them.

It sounds like your problem is that Plusnet have not set your line to be FTTC speeds. The "Plusnet Line Speed" is the maximum download speed that your line can achieve and is shown at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (Login is required)

If your speed tests results show the upload speed to be much higher than the previous ADSL, then this is the issue.

As it is the weekend it might be better to phone Plusnet as the forum is not necessarily monitored by Plusnet staff whom are working today.

Support number is

• 0800 432 0200 (from within the UK)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Why don't you call them?

Posted at same time as SLT, the forum software should have notified me of a new postAngry

SpendLessTime
Hero

@BrightonRock

It does look like Chat is down currently, I'm not seeing it available either and I'm not blocking any sites currently in this browser.

BrightonRock
Pro

@SpendLessTime

Chat is working here. It is not blocking websites that causes the problem but stopping trackers that allow information to be carried over from the normal website to the chat system. On my Firefox system with Adblock+ and Ghostery, it is the Ghostery part that blocks chat if I let it.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@BrightonRock

Yes it is now at this moment as I've just check again, but it absolutely was not when I posted earlier. Checked from same machine and browser etc. It was down earlier, honest.

BrightonRock
Pro

I believe you! I believe you!

The wider point remains that, so far as I can see, PlusNet still haven't put a warning on the website about the effect of security software in browsers blocking initiating chat. I forget how long ago we asked for this to be done.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@BrightonRock

I asked on day one along with countless others and have repeated the request too. As have others. But it is ignored as not important, like the individual customer. Been told it has been fed back but that's getting old. Too much is "fed back" here without any positive changes.

We are just a number, one of the many, individually unimportant. 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup on monday PN will come here with ,,, Sorry to hear you have problems ,,, Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear it got sorted.

With regards to ad-blockers this is something we are investigating.

If you can tell us what ad-blocker you use we can get that looked into further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
WayneF

I wouldn't say it's sorted, but it's been explained why and a refund has been promised.

BrightonRock
Pro

@MatthewWheeler

There are already several threads about the issue with Chat that you might want to check back on. Albeit they may have been on the old forum; it certainly goes back that far.

My view is that the issue with Chat usually relates to software blocking trackers not ad-blocking as such. Although I don't rule out some ad-block filters doing both.

On my Firefox system Ghostery blocks the button to start Chat with or without AdBlock Plus using the Easylist filter