cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra but no observed speed increase

claireshaun

Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra but no observed speed increase

Hi all. Smiley

Having searched for this issue on the Plusnet forum, it seems to crop up quite frequently. Prior to the upgrade, we were receiving approximately 38/40mbps down, and approximately 10mbps up. Unfortunately, I didn't think to run a speed test prior to upgrading. Apart from a fault in 2019 caused by some water damaged wiring in the manhole under the street, our line has been rock solid. I use Amazon WorkSpaces which is very sensitive to network hiccups - no issues whatsoever!

I decided to upgrade based upon the figures in the BTW broadband availability test that I conducted prior to the upgrade. I've attached a screenshot of a test conducted more recently - "BTW test.png". As you can see, the upgrade was justifiable as the theoretical maximums are considerably better than my current speeds.

According to the email sent from Plusnet, the upgrade was due to occur on the 1st February. That morning, I rebooted to router, but observed no increase in speed. The BT speed test tool stated that my IP Profile was 41.14mbps down and 20mbps up. Having read about DLM on the forum, I decided to forget about the issue for ten days and see if the speed had adjusted.

Sixteen days later, I took another speed test just past midnight when usage was light. The results are attached - "Speed_test_and_IP_profile.png". The test results were the same as before, including the IP Profile. I rebooted the router (RT-N66U) and Openreach modem, but there was no increase. Attached is a screenshot from the Plusnet dashboard, altough I've read on this forum that these numbers are more theoretical?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra but no observed speed increase

The speed test you’ve done and the screenshot from the dashboard show that both your account and the fibre itself has been upgraded to fibre extra (80/20)

Try plugging your modem into the test socket behind the faceplate of the master telephone socket https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 using a microfilter. This should rule out any internal wiring issues. 

Also do you have another modem you can try? The Openreach modem is ancient!

Failing that report a speed fault at faults.plus.net as it’ll likely come to arranging an Openreach engineer to investigate the problem further. 

claireshaun

Re: Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra but no observed speed increase

Brilliant! Thanks for your reply.

I’ll try plugging in directly to the test socket later today.

As for the modem... I always thought these Openreach modems were a ‘set and forget’ type of deal, but if I’m using old kit, I’d be happy to upgrade it. I’ve attached some photos of the kit installed at the moment.

Thanks!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@claireshaun 

Your hardware is extremely old. Having just upgraded you could contact Plusnet and asking for them to give you a freebies Hub One, which might give you better performance.

The other thing to note is that the DLM would have been reset so if your line will support it the speed should increase in the near future as the automatic system 'retunes' to your line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'