cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra SPEED almost halved! 21Mbps out of 54.6Mbps

FIXED
tol
Grafter

Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra SPEED almost halved! 21Mbps out of 54.6Mbps

How long does fibre upgrade take to "settle" in after upgrade?

I upgraded for Unlimited Fibre To supposed Unlimited Fibre Extra

before the upgraded the Minimum Guaranteed Speed was 30Mbps and the speed was usually well above that.

Now since the upgrade the Connection speed has gradually decreased.

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 60 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 54.6Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

Will this improve? When? I am being billed for the "increased" service since Midnight on 14th September, so it's only 34 hours in.  Where am I supposed to report speed problems according to the Minimum Speed Guarantee?  I don't want to keep paying for extra if I'm only getting less!! 

34 REPLIES 34
tol
Grafter

Re: Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra SPEED almost halved! 21Mbps out of 54.6

No reply, no change, waiting for somebody to do me proud... no confidence Sad

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 60 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 54.6Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

tol
Grafter

Re: Upgraded from Unlimited Fibre to Unlimited Fibre Extra SPEED almost halved! 21Mbps out of 54.6

Minimum Speed Guarantee 54.6 Mbps

Summary of Performance Test
Wednesday 16 September 2020 | 8:42:53
Ping
23 Ms

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 31.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 - 62.23 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 62.23 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 18.22 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

tol
Grafter

Minimum Speed Guarantee 54.6 Mbps

Summary of Performance Test
Wednesday 16 September 2020 | 14:46:38
Ping 16 Ms

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 32.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 - 62.23 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 62.23 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 16.13 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Albert Einstein is attributed with a saying about doing the same thing but expecting different results!

So, how about letting us know a few simple checks?

Do you have a filtered master socket and have you tried the hidden test socket?

Rather than posting speed tests, can you post the results of the DSL Checker, making sure you hide your number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL ?

Also post the results of the HelpDesk page on the router, or at least one that shows sync speed and attainable speed..

PS - dial . 17070 option 2, is the line quiet?

tol
Grafter

@Mustrum Thanks for replying.

Yes, the router is in the filtered master socket fitted and the laptop is connected directly to that.

For several years before the "upgrade" I would see an average of 36Mbps via wifi connection.  The minimum guaranteed speed was 30Mbps.  I am getting less now for an extra £6 a month (I thought the Extra was supposed to be speed, not just cost) So

This is a BT Homehub 5 running openwrt, same physical hardware as the latest plusnet one hub.  I don't have a HelpDesk page.

I've looked at this DSL Checker and is tells me about the cabinet in my exchange, and has not changed since before my "upgrade", not sure what you are suggesting it will tell us?

Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 63.91
Max Observed Upstream Speed 19.72
Observed Date 2020-08-06

What I am posting is the https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/runDiagnostics speed test results from 3 different times of day as required to create a fault with plusnet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not sure I can help if you don;t provide the information I asked for and supply limited figs from a month ago.

tol
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:

Not sure I can help if you don;t provide the information I asked for and supply limited figs from a month ago.

This IS what you asked for... limited figures from a month ago is what that DSL checker shows:
Screenshot 2020-09-16 190935.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The DSL checker shows also that your speeds were at the bottom of estimates a month ago, and appear to have fallen even more since.

How ever, you have not said if you have tried the hidden test socket.

Nor the results of dialling 17070 option 2.

Or provided the full router stats from the Help Desk or advanced WAN/Internet page from your router.

The most likley cause of falling speeds is noise on the line.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @tol

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with your connection speeds and I apologise for the frustration caused. Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Thanks. 

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

That DSL checker - it's not really obvious what it's telling - my numbers when I run that tool show 'max observed download speed' is 58.6 (I take it that's in Mbits/sec), but any of the speed testers show download speeds of around 35Mbits/sec. I've never observed speeds of 50-plus Mbits/sec. My cabinet apparently supports 60 to 80 Mbits/sec according to that page.

The Plusnet product offers 80 Mbits/sec but at the moment shows no improvement on transfer rates over and above that achieved with the standard 40 Mbits/sec product.

I don't know if that's a fault or not, so can't see what else to check.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@mechanic123  it may not be obvious to you, but once you understand what it is saying it is invaluable. It shows what your line could deliver, if you chose to option for the maximum product available for your line.

The observed speeds help indicate if you are near to those max speeds.

Your speed tests often confuse people, especially if they are not on the maximum product, test on WiFi, or when other devices on their network are competing for bandwidth.

HTH, there are lots on this site with experience and knowledge who can help translate the info others may not understand.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum Thanks for your rather patronising post; although you rubbish various speed tester results, these rely on real-world connections to measure download and upload speeds. Thus they represent what people typically find in their setup. Not much point in removing hardware, rewiring the home, or going around disconnecting all the stuff normally using the Internet. Tests undertook then don't necesseraly tell people what to expect in the normal operation of their system.

My 'product' was reccently updated to the wider bandwidth fibre one that offers up to 80Mbits.sec downloads. I don't expecct to get 80, but I do expect to see some change in download speed. So far - three days after the product change - I'm still on approx 37/8 Mbps as measured by speed test sites. How long does it take for the product change to work its way into measured download/upload speeds? I've no intention of rewiring the house just to squeeze an extra few Mbps out of the system. If there's no change in speed I'll be cancelling the change of product within the fortnight allowed.

Although 14 days seems a bit short if people want the chance to move routers, change sockets or whatever before giving up. What passes for an SLA on this product defines the min download speed as 60 Mbps, no? If that's not met, the contract/agreement fails, no? That should appply at any time, not just in the first 14 days.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@mechanic123  the MAx observed speeds from the wholesale tester can be misleading. I am on the 40/10 product and yet the max observed downstream speed is shown as ~ 56Mb.

I suspect that in your case the product change hasn't actually been actioned. The definitive information to prove/disprove this would be the stats from the router. I don't use OpenWrt myself but I believe you can get the stats using the command '/etc/init.d/dsl_control status' from the Openwrt cli.

This shows an example

connect stat with Home Hub 5a

root@LEDE:~# /etc/init.d/dsl_control status
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Broadcom 177.174
ATU-C System Vendor ID:                   Broadcom
Chipset:                                  Lantiq-VRX200 Unknown
Firmware Version:                         5.7.9.5.1.7
API Version:                              4.17.18.6
XTSE Capabilities:                        0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x2
Annex:                                    B
Line Mode:                                G.993.5 (VDSL2 with down- and upstream vectoring)
Profile:                                  17a
Line State:                               UP [0x801: showtime_tc_sync]
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):  Near: 0 / Far: 35801
Errored seconds (ES):                     Near: 0 / Far: 24
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):           Near: 0 / Far: 5
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):            Near: 0 / Far: 4
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):                Near: 122 / Far: 122
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):           Near: 0 / Far: 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P):        Near: 0 / Far: 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P):           Near: 0 / Far: 0
Power Management Mode:                    L0 - Synchronized
Latency / Interleave Delay:               Down: Fast (0.18 ms) / Up: Fast (0.0 ms)
Data Rate:                                Down: 50.064 Mb/s / Up: 15.064 Mb/s
Line Attenuation (LATN):                  Down: 18.3dB / Up: 21.7dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):                Down: 18.3dB / Up: 21.5dB
Noise Margin (SNR):                       Down: 12.6dB / Up: 6.5dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):        Down: 1.4dB / Up: 13.6dB
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):       Down: 92.778 Mb/s / Up: 22.052 Mb/s
Line Uptime Seconds:                      18
Line Uptime:                              18s

If you could do that and post the stats, then we can see if the upgrade has actually happened

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Does this help? That's the nearest stats page I can see on the router?

This is a quick overview of your BT Business Smart Hub's status.

Fibre Broadband (VDSL)

39.99 Mbps

9.99 Mbps

13 Days, 5 Hours 51 Minutes

13 Days, 5 Hours 53 Minutes

+088315+NQ84508488

SG4B1B0092C4

21-Jul-2020