Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded Fibre to Fibre Extra: Speeds getting worse

daleh43
Grafter

Upgraded Fibre to Fibre Extra: Speeds getting worse

Hi,

I upgraded to Fibre Extra from Fibre as i was very happy with the BB and a persuasive CS rep gave me a cracking deal to upgrade. I did so and was switched over on Tues past. I was told that I would get approx 62.5meg guaranteed but I knew I would get more that as was only 100yards from the fibre cabinet and i had the max fibre when it 1st came out with plusnet and i was getting 75/76meg constantly

I thought it was very slow this morning as a amazon series i was watching was buffering a few times. I hooked up my laptop via ethernet cable and ran a BT wholesale test. i was shocked as i was only getting 12.47Mbps d/l and only 2.07Mbps u/l

The First day I was getting 50Mbps & 20Mbps respectively. What is going on Huh

Ive ran a few tests since and its getting no better (which i thought it would) and BT wholesale says the best i should only get

40Mbps-51.41Mbps

I should say I was nearly maxing out @ 38meg all the time on standard Fibre

35 REPLIES 35
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Upgraded Fibre to Fibre Extra: Speeds getting worse

Hi @daleh43, I'm really sorry that you are having issues with the speed and any inconvenience this may have caused.

I've tested your line which shows you are in sync at 53.1mbps which is certainly lower than we would expect based on your estimates.

The testing hasn't located what may be causing this issue so would advise connecting your router to the test socket, and raising a fault here is the issue then persists. If you let us know once you have done this, we can pick it up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
daleh43
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I dont have a master socket, i have one of these. (middle one)

BT master socket with two sockets

I have had no problem with 38meg fibre or even when I had 76meg a few years ago with you so cant understand the problem ?Huh

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me, if you have the middle socket you should be able to remove those 2 screws and lift of the front plate to reveal a test socket, if you can connect the router in there (you will need a microfilter to do so) it will rule out any issues with internal wiring or the faceplate.

Once in the test socket if you are still getting the same slow speeds, this could suggest an external issue that our tests aren't picking up. If you raise the fault using the link above and let us know done, we will progress this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
daleh43
Grafter

hi lauren,

I have had a chat with [CSA Removed], one of your colleagues,  and done a test with fast.com and still not getting what i should. he has raised a fault ticket and says someone should get back to me after weekend

thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for raising the fault, i have picked this up for you and raised it to our suppliers.

It looks like we will need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further as their tests aren't detecting what's causing your issue.

Can you reply to the fault ticket here and if you let us know once you have done, we will get this arranged for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
daleh43
Grafter

Hi Lauren,

I have read your reply via ticket raised. I have a SSFP socket (dedicated fibre connection) I have never had any problems before I upgraded.I was getting nearly max on 38meg. its only when Ive upgraded that I'm having these problems. There has been no reason to tamper, mess with the master socket in the last 6 years i have been in this property.

According to fast.com I'm getting 48meg d/l and 17meg u/l. It has got to be exchange side thats causing this problem or I would have had problems with the standard fibre.

BT Wholesale site says I should only get 52meg max but samknows says I should get between 68.5meg and 80meg and I already got 76meg when I first took out max fibre with yourselves approx 6 years ago so whats changed ?

BT broadband says this:

downstream line rate

high  low

80    68.4

yet BT wholesale says this:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 28.4 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-51.41 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 51.41 Mbps

note IP profile, something wrong somewhere

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @daleh43, I've picked up the fault report ticket and booked an engineer appointment for you. Confirmation has been sent via the ticket on your account and sms.

I hope this helps.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
daleh43
Grafter

Hi, I have done alot of searching and it seems that the IP profile is the problem, so sending out an engineer won't solve anything and cost me £65. Please reset my IP Profile to the correct range for my line which is 80 Meg max to 68.5 min
Thanks
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Not always the case. My last openreach engineer come out last August to find out what was wrong with it, instead he spend half an hour with his JDSU kit tool and phone up Diagnostic Centre of Excellence to reset my fibre on DLM as the sync rate went back to normal.

Some engineer might reset the line, some do not.

daleh43
Grafter

hi,

Just seems strange that my IP profile has changed since yesterday. it has changed from 51.41Mbps to 57.51Mbps. I have just run a speed test and Im getting 56Mbps

So i think that proves IP profile is affecting my speeds

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @daleh43 

Our Suppliers are still requesting an internal visit to rectify this issue. 

I'm afraid without your consent to go ahead with this we are unable to proceed. 

Please reply to the ticket linked previously with the information requested. 

Thanks, 

MoR

daleh43
Grafter

Hi,

They can come if they insist, but I'm not paying if they cant find anything wrong inside my house so please take this into consideration.

It's obvious its the IP profile thats the cause, Yesterday my IP profile was 51.41Mbps and getting 50meg d/l now, today,  my IP profile is 57.53Mbps and now getting 56meg d/l, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see whats happening ?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The IP profile is automatically controlled by DLM to give you the best speeds. 

If it is varying then that will be due to the condition of the line varying.

Are you getting noise on the line? Dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone

daleh43
Grafter

hi @Mustrum

I have had plusnet 38meg for a few years now with only the odd dropout/reset. I always got near full d/l speed. its only since i upgraded that I'm having this problem. Now they're saying they want an engineer to come out @ a cost of £65 if they cant find anything. I refuse to pay this amount as i know everything is ok @ my end. Ive never had any more than my IP profile allowed. I know 100% I can get near as damn it to full d/l speed as I had the 76meg package with plusnet when it first came out and I constantly got between 72/74meg.

All i ask is for them to reset my IP profile first before sending in the cavalry