cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre extra - speeds not met

MickGardner
Dabbler

Upgrade to fibre extra - speeds not met

I upgraded to unlimited fibre extra 48 hours ago. The download speed has increased from 35 to 55mbps (still below the 60mpbs minimum I was promised but I can live with at) which implies that my internal wiring & kit is all ok but the upload speed hasn't changed at all - it's still around the 9mbps that I was getting before, compared to the 17-18 I was promised.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Upgrade to fibre extra - speeds not met

@MickGardner 

When you say that you were promised 17-18Mbps was this in an email from Plusnet? There is no guaranteed minimum speed on upload. You can't put any credence to the 20Mbps profile as this is fixed for all fibre extra accounts at this level regardless of the line's capability. What do you get if you put your phone number in here?  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

A thing to note is that when you were transferred to this service the DLM will have been reset to 6dB SNR. If your line will support it then this should reduce over the coming days with a corresponding increase in speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MickGardner
Dabbler

The speeds promised were in an email from Plusnet.

See attached screendump for the BT Wholsale Broadband Checker result.

Thanks for your response.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Despite your assumption about your wiring, it is one of the issues that is causing your low speeds.

Do you have a VDSL filtered master socket, or are you using dangley filters?

MickGardner
Dabbler

Dangly ones

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you  report a speed fault, PN will send out an Openreach bod who will install a filtered master socket and you will get the max speeds.

You can check your speeds by removing the faceplate on your master socket and plugging into the hidden test socket. However you will have to log into the router before and after, go to the advanced section and compare before and after sync and max attainable speeds.