cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre - engineer visit?

Jeannine
Dabbler

Upgrade to fibre - engineer visit?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before - we are trying to upgrade to fibre (it's taking a very long time, long story!) but evetually have an engineer's visit booked for next week.
But, what does the engineer actually do when he arrives??  The work, apparently, has already been done at the green cabinet, and the HubOne we can install ourselves, so I'm not sure what I'm missing...
thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upgrade to fibre - engineer visit?

Have you already got a filtered master socket?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gbpnc

If your experience turned out to be the same as mine, your "engineer visit" would consist in receiving a text message that your broadband order was complete.
I had moved stuff, in case the engineer needed clear space around my master socket, and sat around for a while, waiting for an engineer to arrive, before growing tired of waiting.
It was helpful that the packaging of the router was labelled as a self-install pack, though I only noticed that, once I'd grown tired of waiting.
I got a false impression from a Plusnet email:
"... The engineer appointment to install your broadband service is booked for ... December 2015 between ... .
If you're no longer available at this time, you can change your appointment up to two working days before ..."
I've read somewhere today that Plusnet engineer visits used to be needed, before they started sending out self-install packs (with, I think I understand, different hardware inside).
Of course, I don't know the circumstances applicable in your case, so acknowledge that it is possible, for all I know, that, for some reason, a real engineer visit might be needed.
Another really minor issue is that I think it emerged that my Plusnet email was available prior to completion of my broadband order. I tried a couple of times to set it up, apparently prematurely (as I couldn't do it), but then gave up. When my order was complete, I found various update emails telling me of the progress of my order. I infer from that, that I could have got my email set up for Plusnet emails a bit sooner than I did. This was not a big deal because I did receive text message updates on the progress of my order.
Jeannine
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.  Don't think we have a 'filtered master socket' - we have ADSL so...what exactly is that please?
khile
Grafter

A filtered socket is a phone socket that essentially has a micro-filter built into it so you dont have to have a filter dangling out of the socket
Have a look here to help you determine: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/I-Plate-broadband-accelerator-adsl-faceplate
Jeannine
Dabbler

Thanks for that! No, we don't have a filtered master socket so maybe that is what the engineer will be fitting.  Perhaps it will all become clear on the day!
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: khile
A filtered socket is a phone socket that essentially has a micro-filter built into it so you dont have to have a filter dangling out of the socket
Have a look here to help you determine: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/I-Plate-broadband-accelerator-adsl-faceplate

Your link shows a ADSL face plate not a Fibre one.
This is what the Fibre BT master sockets look like;

As BT Openreach transition from managed installations to self install of fibre there does seam to be a lot of confusion as to which product the customer will receive. In my case PlusNet expected BT Openreach to supply the modem. Unfortunately BT Openreach had stopped supplying their contract engineers with modems!