Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra

I recently changed from the legacy 55/10 service to Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20. There doesn't seem to have been any change in my download speed.

That seems surprising: I would have expected replacing a Technicolor/ECI modem system on the old service with a Hub One on the new to do something to the speed. Also odd is that the wholesale speed tester says my downstream IP is 45 Kbps, which doesn't look right (but may be a reflection of what is being delivered).

I would be grateful if the PlusNet team would take a look at the service and post the results of a GEA test please.

Michael

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra

The question has to be what speed have you been promised? What do you get if you put your phone number in here?  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

The other question of course is whether the change has been completed. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BrightonRock
Pro

Thank you; those are indeed the questions.

I'm focusing on the second one at the moment because I expected some change in the download speed and that doesn't seem to have happened. It seems odd for for 55/10 to give the same download speed as 80/20.

The answer to the first question is:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

High Low High Low  
VDSL Range A (Clean) 72.2 49.8 19.6 13.1 44.6
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 70.1 46.6 19.2 11.7 40

Which I read as saying that I'm currently a bit below the low range and a bit above the handback threshold. But I'll come back to that once it is clearer that the service is configured properly.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If you posted the rest of the table it should include your latest observed speeds.

Or you could look at the router Helpdesk page and see the synch and max attainable speeds.

BrightonRock
Pro

Thank you. I'm still coming to terms with the extra information that the Hub One provides as compared to my previous equipment..

The Helpdesk in my Hub doesn't use the terms synch and maximum attainable speeds. It does, however, tell me of a maximum data rate (sync?) of 46798 and a data rate (maximum attainable speed?) of 48941.

The dsl checker says

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 48.99

So what is all this saying to me? Is the Hub is telling me that the fastest that my line will run is a shade over 48Mbps regardless of what speed is coming out of the cabinet? If that is what is being said then my observation is correct that upgrading from 55/10 to 80/20 has made no difference and my surprise at that outcome was misplaced.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Alas, yes upgrading won't make a difference unless your sync speed is higher.

That said, the estimates suggest you should be getting much higher speeds. 

It may be that you have had a fault on the line and DLM has restricted it, although if the line has been changed to 80/20 then DLM would have been reset.

Alternatively, do you have a filtered Master Socket - if not does the Master Socket have a test socket - behind the lower panel revealed by removing the two screws? Do the sync speeds increase if you plug into this?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@BrightonRock,

Just to clarify, when you were on 55/10 you were getting the speed you're currently obtaining? If so the change to 80/20 won't make any different as @Mustrum has advised. And again as advised your estimates do suggest you should be getting more than you are. Now while there's nothing particularly obvious causing a problem on the line, and you are above the MGALs that were provided on the recontract I think we should probably progress the matter to a fault to ensure nothing is hindering your sync and throughput speeds. I'm going to provide the GEA test you asked for below:

Just an FYI the profile listing makes the line look banded - it is not banded, on a live BRAG result the profile is set correctly, GEA hasn't updated this information since the 12th so please ignore this. 

I've raised a fault ticket on the account, but if you can please so the test socket check suggested above and let us know once the router's plugged directly in there (with no extensions etc) we'll run another test to see if the sync increases at all. 

BrightonRock
Pro

@JOLO 

Thank you. Now in the test socket; probably only until about 16:15 as I need the phone. Slight change in the maximum data rate reported by the Hub up to 51201 from 46798 so my internal wiring is having some effect.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@BrightonRock 

Even though you are plugged into the test socket you should be using a filter. There's no reason why you can't plug a phone into the filter as well as the router. If possible I would leave it there until things are resolved as this shows that the problem is not on your property and reduces the risk of you being charged for a call out.

Having said this I would suggest that you buy a filtered faceplate for when you put things back. You can get them from the likes of Amazon. Be aware that there are two types to match the master socket. The older types are fixed by two screws the same as the standard faceplate. Newer master sockets use a clipped on version. They are not interchangeable. Once you have fitted one you do not need to use filters on your extensions.

A bit back I fitted a filtered faceplate for a friend and the synch rate increased fom 3ish to 23Mbps.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BrightonRock
Pro

@Mustrum 

Thank you for your help. I get a bit extra speed 51000 vs 47000 (as reported by the Hub) when connected to the test socket which suggests some effect from my wiring.

I have been living happily with the speed that I have been getting for several years and can continue to do so. Actually, it looks as if I don't have any choice and will have to! As @JOLO  correctly (and politely) pointed out, I am within the promised speed range. If it won't go any faster, it won't go any faster.

BrightonRock
Pro

@Baldrick1 

Thank you. Welcome advice. Yes, I can indeed plug a phone into the filter (I remembered the filter after about 5 mins wondering why there was no sync!) but there are reasons why not. This was an engineer installation so I have a filtered socket; after the last fault visit, a MK4 faceplate fitted to a 5C filtered socket.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@BrightonRock,

That's interesting, was there any internal wiring you were using between the socket/router - like an extension socket or wire?

BrightonRock
Pro

@JOLO 

I'm connecting directly to the filtered socket with a cable. There are phone extensions; my understanding (it is years since an engineer installed ADSL and set this up) is that they go out from the master socket using spare wires in the incoming cable.

I'm grateful to everyone for their help and advice. Unless @JOLO has a magic wand and can change the world by waving it in his office in Sheffield - or, less difficult, affect the wires carrying my signal from there - I'm inclined to draw a line under this and close the case. I moved to 80/20 because it was cheaper. I'm provisioned properly; I have sufficient speed. Perhaps I could get more speed but I can live with what I have.

Thank you all again.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@BrightonRock,

As long as you're sure but, I do think you may potentially benefit from an engineer visit, and I'm happy to progress it down that route if you'd like to just pop some availability on the ticket (Mon-Fri AM (8am-1pm) or PM (1pm-6pm)).