Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre not activated?

SKneaded
Hooked

Upgrade to Fibre not activated?

Hi,

I recently chose to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra, which I was told would happen on the 20th. I have the new router plugged in and working but I am not seeing any improvement in connection speed. I am aware that you don't get the full speed immediately but I should be seeing at least some improvement shouldn't I? Right now my connection is still only getting about 17Mbps download and 0.8Mbps upload.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upgrade to Fibre not activated?

Have you actually been moved over yet? The communications from Plusnet are confusing to say the least. First your account is upgraded (I think usually on your normal billing date) and then some time later the engineer visits the cabinet to connect your line to the FTTC cabinet. Many people have posted on here having been misled by the message from Plusnet about the account upgrade and thinking that was when they would see the faster speeds.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SKneaded
Hooked

I believe It's all meant to be switched over by now, I've attached a screenshot of the message saying the order was due to be completed on 20/10/16, it also says 'when the engineer completes the work' so I presume that would be what you were referring to. (I blurred the reference number out as I was unsure if that was something I should post or not)

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It could be the work has been done by BT but Plusnet's systems need to catch up.

Perform the last two points (BT diagnostic test and current line speed) as described here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/td-p/1270253 and post the results please.

SKneaded
Hooked

As you requested I followed the last two points from that page, the result of the BT Wholesale test came out at 17.8 Mbps download, 0.88 Mbps upload and a ping latency of 39.50ms. The current line speed listed on the page linked on the last point said 18Mb. I also ran the further diagnostics on the BT Wholesale site, and I have attached screenshots of all these results.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

From those speed values I suggest you have not yet been upgraded to fibre. It seems to be quite common for a "product change complete" notification to be sent before the work at the cabinet is done. Need to contact support to find out when the BT engineer is booked. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero

The IP Profile speeds in the further BT test say you haven't been upgraded. The current line speed says they have changed over the account ready for when the engineer does his bit at the cabinet.

SKneaded
Hooked

So do I need to contact support myself to find out when that will happen or to inform them that it should have happened but didn't? As the message I showed you earlier implied the engineer would complete the work 2 days ago.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think you need to contact them.

Also if there is an open ticket on your account relating to the upgrade I suggest you add a comment to that.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Check in your router to see what it is doing. In the Troubleshooting / Event Log tab, against the "Category" there is a pull-down with various options. Set it "WAN" and look at the top event. If it says "WAN operating mode is VDSL" then you have fibre connected. If it says ADSL, it hasn't been connected yet.

If it has been connected, look a bit further down in the events for a line saying "PPPoE is up" with some numbers after it. That will tell you the actual line rate, as opposed to the throughput you get when you get when you test it. It's possible that you have been upgraded to fibre physically, but your profile hasn't been reset to allow the new bandwidth of the line to be used.

SKneaded
Hooked

It says it is operating in ADSL mode so I presume it hasn't been connected yet. I will have to ring them up when I get the chance and see what has happened. Guess I get to listen to their delightful music for another 30 minutes again Roll_eyes 

Thanks for your help everyone!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid the order wasn't accepted for the 20th, I'm sorry you were incorrectly told that. The 20th is the date we requested, but the order is due to complete on the 2nd November.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.