Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre - SSLVPN and VoIP

FIXED
tavyuser17
Dabbler

Upgrade to Fibre - SSLVPN and VoIP

Hello

I hope this is the right place to ask, this feels like a silly question but better safe than sorry, is there any reason why upgrading from Unlimited ADSL to Unlimited Fibre Extra would negatively affect my use of a VoIP Handset and SSLVPN?

I'm currently using Plusnet Unlimited ADSL with my own modem/router (TP-Link TD-W9980). I work from home and rely on my VoIP Handset and SSL VPN (CiscoAnyconnect), both work faultlessly with my current Plusnet package/modem combination. I'm considering upgrading to Plusnet Fibre Unlimited Extra and maintaining my existing router which is capable of VDSL2, I just don't want to jeopardize what is currently working well for me.

Many thanks

Sam 

6 REPLIES 6
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Upgrade to Fibre - SSLVPN and VoIP

I use sslvpn to work and ms lync voice, both work great, I'm in 60 fibre

Should work as it does at the moment, but with more hard room on the line for other traffic too
tavyuser17
Dabbler

Great, thanks for your reply
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

As MrSilver says, it should be fine. I use both voip and vpn and have recently changed from ADSl to Fibre(albeit 40/2 since I can't justify the cost of 80/20!)  and have no problems. In the office I have an FTTC 80/20 connection (not with PlusNet though!)  which is used for general internet access and a voip pbx with 10 extensions, that also works fine. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

machare
Rising Star

Who is your VOIP service with? 

It makes sense to find out if there are any known compatibility issues with whatever router you plan to use.

tavyuser17
Dabbler

Thanks, the VoIP and SSL VPN both work fine with ADSL so it seemed counter intuitive that they might not work after upgrading to Fibre but I wanted to ask in case there was any inherent difference that could cause a problem (ports/firewalls/something else at the plusnet end).

I have no idea who the VoIP is with, it's a physical handset provided by my company which connects automatically to the corporate network when it gets an internet connection via an Ethernet.

It sounds like everything will continue to work though as one would expect.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You will probably need to reconfigure your W9980 for VDSL rather than ADSL. Later firmwares have options for Plusnet VDSL in the quick setup list.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.