Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre Extra, still on Standard Fibre speed

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Upgrade to Fibre Extra, still on Standard Fibre speed

Thanks @Anoush, I'll give that a try this evening, although as you rightly pointed out I have the engineer installed pre-filtered faceplate. Would it also be possible to connect directly to the Openreach modem to see if the router is slowing things down? If so, how would I go about that, and if it shows a significant improvement are there any router tweaks that could be made?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Connecting your PC directly to the Openreach Modem may help increase your throughput, but it won't change the sync rate.

From your download speed test results it seems you're hitting pretty close to the sync. Best bet I think is to try the test socket.

-Edit-

If you would like to connect straight to your Openreach Modem you would essentially setup a PPPoE connection. A guide can be found here.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

Thanks for the advice. It sounds as if directly connecting to the modem won't help me to determine if I can get better speeds. Connecting to the test socket will assume confirm (or otherwise) that there are no internal wiring issues affecting sync speed, so I'll definitely try it to see if it makes any difference.

Would I be correct in assuming that fibre connections are not subject to DLM/banding or target SNR impacting on sync speed in a similar way to ADSL?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Aye. In your case, the test socket would pretty much just bypass the faceplate, as the faceplate you should have would already bypass internal wiring.

Fibre is subject to banding just like ADSL. The difference is that if it is banded, we're not able to make any adjustments; it requires an engineer appointment. I believe the engineer would call Openreach DCoE whilst on the job.

This brings up a good point. I've checked the banding, and it's set at 55/10. This would usually cap your throughput/download speed. In your case, from your test results earlier you're achieving more than this so it doesn't appear to be service affecting.

Let us know how you get on with the test socket. It would be handy if I could re test your service with your modem in the test point.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

I can plug in to the test socket later this afternoon/evening, I'm usually at home by around 5pm. Should I reply to this thread to let you know when its done?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yep. If you can leave it in there overnight, I'll retest in the morning Smiley

Thanks.

maranello
Pro

I wasn't able to connect the modem to the test socket this evening as the connectors are different. I may have an old filter up in the loft, would it be ok to use it?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah, yeah. I should have mentioned, you'll need a microfilter.

It's something we wouldn't have provided with the router as the fibre provide would have been a managed installation by an engineer specifically to fit the faceplate you have that doesn't need a filter.

Once you're able to find a microfilter and try the test point, let me know Smiley
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

Now plugged into test socket via microfilter

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for getting back to me,

Downstream in sync at 62.7 Mbps, upstream at 20 Mbps which is falling within the estimates. The service is still banded at 55/10 though.

Just out of curiosity can you re run a speed test and see if you're able to achieve more than 55/10 again?

maranello
Pro

Thanks for your continued help. I'm now at work, but will run another test this evening, and post back with the results

maranello
Pro

@Anoush

As per your suggestion, BT speedtest results  at 19:50

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
  58.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 60.65 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 58.72 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-60.65 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 60.65 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  15.62 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.62Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for that.

It seems the banding isn't restricting your speed as you're able to achieve a pretty good throughput, almost up to the sync.
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

So it seems that I'm currently getting the best download speed I could hope for on my connection, a small but not insignificant improvement over the speeds I was getting on 55/10, but short of the 58 - 77 Mbps estimate when I agreed to the upgrade. I'l have to settle for this unless there are any tweaks I could apply. I remain confused that the 55/10 banding is not apparently restricting my speeds.

Thank you very much for your help and support, which is very much appreciated. Your advice and actions to help with this issue is what was commonplace 10 years ago when I joined Plusnet, and is the main reason why I have stayed a customer and recommended Plusnet to others. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems @maranello If there's ever anything else I can help with just let me know.