Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre Extra, still on Standard Fibre speed

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Upgrade to Fibre Extra, still on Standard Fibre speed

Product Change apparently occurred 5:15 this morning, but BT speedtest at 6:30 showed upload of 8.37 and download of 52.07 Mbps. Plusnet line profile changed to 80Mbps.

I've got the Tg582 router and Openreach modem, so can't check the sync speed. do I need to reboot router to get the higher speeds?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
29 REPLIES 29
geek26
Aspiring Pro

Re: Upgrade to Fibre Extra, still on Standard Fibre speed

Have you rebooted your router? What was the speed estimate for your fibre extra?

James

maranello
Pro

Hi James, I was editing my post to ask if I needed to reboot router when you posted. I should have tried it to see if it made any difference, but not enough time before leaving home for work. Speed estimate was 58-77Mbps, was previously on 52/10 product and regularly topping out. BT test was for wired connection to laptop.

I won't be able to check if a reboot makes any difference until this evening,maybe a Plusnet staff member can check and reset my line remotely and confirm the change has occurred.

maranello
Pro

Have rebooted router and still getting ~51 download and 8.5 upload. Further Diagnostics confirms that upstream profile is 10Mbps, so clearly not getting Fibre Extra speeds.

Can someone from Plusnet please fix this as despite what I was told the changeover has not been fully actioned.

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Sorry to hear this, it's possible that the IP Profile hasn't been updated on Plusnet system this happens quiet often I would advise you live chat them to make sure this happens either way someone from Plusnet should be in contact shortly when they read this thread.

James

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @maranello

I am sorry to hear you not getting your promised speed.

From testing your broadband I can see you are still provisioned on 55/10. When your service was upgraded, the automated system didn't place a modify order to upgrade your service automatically.

I have now placed the modify order which will complete the next working day I'm afraid. I would expect you to receive the increased speeds on Monday next week.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
maranello
Pro

Thanks @Anoush

As I didn't get any response from Plusnet via this forum yesterday, this morning I used the Chat facility. I was told I was on the correct profile and that I should raise a speed fault. I only got as far as confirming contact details, I couldn't do the checks as I was at work. Should I close the fault ticket?

This raises the question as to why the official support mechanism could not determine that I was provisioned on 55/10 instead of 80/20, whereas you seem to have been able to confirm this very quickly. I'm very grateful for your help, but I think this issue should be fed back to the agent who I dealt with.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The adviser should have checked the line and the asset with suppliers. I've fed back.

Apologies this was not done, but yeah you can close the fault ticket you started.

Let me know if you have any problems come Monday.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

the automated system didn't place a modify order to upgrade your service automatically.

I have now placed the modify order which will complete the next working day I'm afraid. I would expect you to receive the increased speeds on Monday next week.

Thanks for the explanation, although I'm a bit surprised that PN automated systems don't work weekends Roll_eyes

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Even automated systems need a break. Grin

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN automated system ,,, seams to make rather a lot of mistakes Too Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
maranello
Pro

@Anoush

Re-provisioning onto 80/20 appears the have taken place. BT speedtest reports a somewhat disappointing 58.6Mbps (right on the lower value of the speed estimate) and 16Mbps on upload.

Are there any tweaks I could try to improve download speeds?

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Would you please visit the dsl checker here what is the speed range for your line?

James 

maranello
Pro

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.2 56.4 20 18.7 49.7 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 68.3 43.3 20 11.2 35 Available -- -- Yes --

Plusnet estimate on sign-up was 58 - 77 Mbps

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yeah, it looks like you're on the bottom of the estimate:

xDSL Status Summary

Circuit Sync Status

: In Sync

Downstream Line Rate

: 62.0

Upstream Line Rate

: 20.0

We wouldn't be able to raise a fault report to our suppliers, as your sync speed is within the estimates.

However, you could try checks on your end by connecting your Openreach Modem into your test socket. As explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

I imagine you may have the pre-filtered faceplate of the NTE5 socket that an engineer installed for you. Whilst this already bypassing your internal wiring, by trying the test socket may increase the speed bypassing the faceplate.