Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibre Extra gone wrong

dan17
Grafter

Upgrade to Fibre Extra gone wrong

Hi,

We ordered an upgrade online on the 4th December. On the 10th Plusnet dispatched the router after we called them as the upgrade date was the 11th. 

After looking at the BT ADSL checker, the order was actually going to be completed on the 23rd December.

On the 23rd, the internet went down for a bit and when it came back, the upload speed went up to 18-20mbps and download stayed at 5mbps.

A few calls later, very confusing ones, I was told the account wasn’t switched over online, as if it is up to us to check that. The order was now going to complete on the 3rd Jan.

I then checked the support tickets and it turns out they have placed a new contract for Fibre not Fibre Extra! The speed went up to 37 for download a few days ago, but that is just the standard Fibre.

Last night, we spoke to the sales team and they placed an order for the correct product to complete by the 10th.

Looking at the support tickets, I am doubtful. Below is one of them, just before the contract was supposedly submitted.

[internal note]
A modify order on this account was unsuccessful.

The reason given was "The modified BAC is not under the same Customer Accounts (CUS) as the original BAC".

Modify order type:

An attempted move from ADSL 1 on WBC to ADSL2+An attempt to change the upstream capping
Please check why the order has been rejected and contact the customer.

I am doubtful Plusnet will complete the order at all.

It has been a very frustrating experience so far. Plusnet only sell three types of internet packages, you’d think they’ll get it right, or at least communicate. I have had to research a lot to find out what is happening exactly.

Can the support team have a look and explain what has happened and what is going to happen please? @Gandalf seems very competent 🙏🏻 

23 REPLIES 23
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Upgrade to Fibre Extra gone wrong

Hi Dan, 

I've picked this up for you and I'm really sorry about all the issues with this. After a few minutes of face-palming I checked our supplier systems and the right order is in place to move the line over to the right product for Fibre Extra on Monday. 

Just to set an expectation we may need to wait until the next invoice date to initiate an account type change to facilitate the faster speeds. 

I'll check the progress of the order on Monday and will come back to you with an update then. 

It looks like I've got some feedback to pass on about the mistakes made here so I'll go through that too so we can try and avoid such mistakes in the future.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dan17
Grafter

Hi Adam,

Finally someone who understands! Thank you for your reply, you can see for yourself that something straightforward has turned into a dog’s dinner.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Dan, no worries! I'll make sure we get this "untangled" and sorted out ASAP for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dan17
Grafter

Hi Adam,

No change in speed today yet and I received the following:

Dear Mr Hill,

Kind regards,

Thomas Welsh
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Dan

I'm sorry to see the bit of a mess we've got your account in and apologies for the confusion with the above message you've received, the adviser was just closing the ticket 197618657 we automatically raised in favour of the ticket 197618656 Adam's personally monitoring for you.

While we're waiting for your account to be sorted out, I've manually increased a profile on your account to reflect the fibre service we're providing you and if you can reboot your router you should see higher speeds.

Unfortunately the speeds will only be maximum 40mbps, because we've provisioned you on standard fibre instead of fibre extra, however I've placed an order to correct that now and you should see up to 80mbps speeds tomorrow.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dan17
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

I hope it does change over tomorrow.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fingers crossed!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dan17
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf & @adamwalker

This morning’s BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test:

Down: 57.55 mbps
Up: 16.68 mbps
Ping: 14ms

Are these now where they should be for Fibre Unlimited Extra?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Dan, those speeds are pretty good yes but they are below the estimated range for your line. If you haven't done so already would you be able to test speeds over a wired connection to the router please? - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dan17
Grafter

Hi Adam,

The results over wired are:

57.49 & 16.70, just tested.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for that Dan, it would be best if we look at that as a potential fault for you. 

Just before we do can you try following the checks here please? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If they don't make any difference please report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net let me know when you have and I'll get that raised with Openreach. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dan17
Grafter

Hi Adam,

I will wait for a few days and check again before raising a fault because I was advised the speed may take 10 days to settle.

Additionally, I’m planning to try the BT Smart Hub 6 because it doesn’t make a whirring noise over 5GHz, unlike the Plusnet Hub. Users seem to report higher speeds with it so I’ll give it a go. If it’s still not within the advertised range, I will raise a fault.

I performed all the tests in the video and it doesn’t make a difference, incl. unscrewing the faceplate and using the test socket.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, the 10 day training period is only relevant to ADSL connections but you might want to try the other router first so please do let us know how you get on with that. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dan17
Grafter

Hi,

I have tested the BT router and the speeds are around 56 for download and 18 for upload on wired connection. Can I raise a fault over the phone as the online form is kinda confusing?