cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to BT Home Hub 5 - cable speed

tnpn

Upgrade to BT Home Hub 5 - cable speed

Hi
I had constant wifi stability issues with the standard Plusnet router so decided to upgrade to BT Home Hub 5 (replacing both Plusnet boxes).
The wifi seems to be quite stable now (I get 5 bars vs 3 previously and no sudden drops to 0.25 Mbps), although I hoped for faster speeds, but the speed while connected by cable has dropped by half.
Line speed: 60 Mbps (router ground floor, laptop in a room above it on the 1st floor)
Wi-fi speed: 15-25Mbps
Cable speed: 25 Mbps (was 50 Mbps with Plusnet router)
Is there an obvious reason for that ?
Also I am still considering where to keep the Home Hub 5 or send it back and get Asus RT-66NU instead, will I likely to see higher WIFI speeds with ASUS ?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upgrade to BT Home Hub 5 - cable speed

first check run the  BT speed test further diagnostics to see what the profile is
sjptd
Grafter

It is fairly common for people to find that the HomeHub 5 gives worse FTTC speeds than the dedicated Openreach modem (especially the HG512).  However, they are not usually that much worse.
One possibility is that when you were making the switch you did things in such a way as to upset DML.  In particular, unplugging the telephone connection while the modem is still running can be seen as noise by DLM.  It shouldn't matter too much if you did it just once, but if you changed to and fro a couple of times that could have caused issues.  If that was the problem, DLM should see that the HH5 is now stable and gradually give you (most of) your line speed back.
If you still see issues with FTTC spoeed, you can use the HH5 as a two box solution with the Openreach modem.
Kevin
Rising Star

Opposite for me, Changing from the HG512 to the HH5  gave me an consistent extra 3-4Mb download.
Kevin.
tnpn

Quote from: sjptd
unplugging the telephone connection while the modem is still running

I only did it once (switched the router off but not the openreach box, I think)
BT test (is it the right test? could find one that shows more details):

Ookla:

BBSpeedChecker(this used to be more reliable for me before and was always 50Mbps on the old router):

I guess it is all OK then and I should just trust Ookla/BT instead ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As the other tests are showing very similar speeds, I'd suggest it's probably an issue with the BBSpeedChecker test.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.