cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of Master Socket when Upgrading from ADSL to VDSL (Fibre FTTC)

grayerbeard
Dabbler

Upgrade of Master Socket when Upgrading from ADSL to VDSL (Fibre FTTC)

I notice that there are special plug In Master socket Units available for VDSL that are to a different standard than the ones for ADSL.

e.g. the Amazon item: BT Master Socket for VDSL

(There are others at lower cost and some with bad reviews)

The item I have now is about 8 years old and I asume must be only suitable for ADSL.

I understand from a salesman at Maplin that originally there was a costly arrangement for Fibre install involving Open Reach visiting the house to install a new Master Socket and BT Openreach Modem.   BUT that now the idea is you receive the Plusnet Hub One (with its fiilter) and all OpenReach do is to make the changes at the street box.

However I have alwyas used a Master Socket with built in

So should I be ordering that new BT Master Socket for VDSL for when my line is upgraded from ADSL to Fibre in a few days time?  (Or should I expect to be supplied with one . I expect not and am expecting that I am expected to just use filters. )

[I thought this would already be covered by a post on the Forum and have searched but could not find anything so appologies in advance if I am repeating a question already asked]

5 REPLIES 5
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Upgrade of Master Socket when Upgrading from ADSL to VDSL (Fibre FTTC)

You don't need an Openreach Modem, nor the faceplate you've linked.

(The iPlate can actually cause more hassle than it's worth)

If your adsl has been working then the transition to fibre should be seamless.

The Plusnet Hub One comes with everything you need for vdsl

On the day of the changeover, your original router will drop the broadband, unplug it then (or before if you know you won't be in), wait for PN to contact you telling you that your fibre connection is live and then plug your PN Hub One in.

grayerbeard
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
I understand that the Hub one should change over easily to VDSL ok as you describe (clarification of the procedure appreciated) but my concern was that the existing 8 year old faceplate will either need to be replaced or I might get faster speed with a new one. (I have never used filters).
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

A filtered master socket is recommended for Fibre it's Why Openreach installed one when they use to provide the modems, a ADSL filter will work but it's not designed for fibre so it may not always give the best results If you can get hold of a openreach filtered faceplate then i would do so if your ok in paying for one,  sadly since Openreach stopped providing the modems they no longer do the installs and provide the filtered master sockets ISps including plusnet now just provide cheap filters with their modem/routers. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

No problem.

I was curious when you wrote "However I have always used a Master Socket with built in ......" and you never actually said what is was that's built in to it.

The age of the socket shouldn't matter, providing at least one of them is a master socket (for fault finding purposes) - the front part has a removable lower cover.

I had the standard master socket for many many years and would have kept it but BT insisted that it was changed to one that you have linked. You may recall all the hype over BT's new iPlate?

That's okay, but these can and do go faulty from time to time. It's then not as simple as swapping it for another microfilter, especially because I'm disabled.

Also, don't believe the bluff when any faceplate supplier states it'll make your internet faster!! - imho it's all a sales ploy.

You could and probably should read up on 'bellwire removal'. As long as you don't have an old type ringer (with the bell) then this simple job really can pay off when it comes to improving your broadband speed.

If you're still not sure about your socket, pop a picture up we'll go from there (if needs be, hopefully with PN involved)

grayerbeard
Dabbler

Thanks I will order the new faceplate so I can check its effect. (fibre install due by 20th) Also I will check into the bell wiring issues.
I will report back here in a week or so on results including any difference between faceplate and filter.