Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade not upgraded

chasbro
Dabbler

Upgrade not upgraded

Hi
I transfered from adsl to faster broadband 10 days ago.  My speed before was 6,4.  I was 8 months into a contract with free broadband and just paying line rental.  I saw that Lots of providers were offering faster broadband 7 to 14mg.  I upgraded at a cost of £19.99per month.
From day 1  my speed has been 5,2.  I have spoken to chat a few times to no avail. Told to register a fault.  I spoke to chat today and was told that because I have a plusnet router and not a bt router which they cannot supply now my spped will only be up to 6mg.  I have looked at many providers today and all show I should be able to get 7 to 14 including plusnet still.
They said I could go back to the previous contract, but I am not sure if I am being given the correct info.  Is it worth me buying a bt hub?
Any help much appreciated.
Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10
chasbro
Dabbler

Re: Upgrade not upgraded

Anyone please
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: chasbro
because I have a plusnet router and not a bt router which they cannot supply now my spped will only be up to 6mg.

What they're talking about must be a BT Openreach modem (these used to be supplied and installed by BT Oprnreach engineers when they installed the FTTC).
Having a Plusnet Hub One as opposed to a BT Openreach modem DOES NOT limit your speeds, the lack of engineer install could be the reason for lower speeds since internal wiring may not have been isolated from the master socket.
I'm assuming your router is connected via a microfilter, If you have a master socket with a split faceplate with a removable bottom section, try removing this and connecting the microfilter to the test socket behind the faceplate - this should eliminate any internal extension wiring.  Ideally you should check the DSL sync speed before and after to see if this makes a difference.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chasbro
Dabbler

I did have an engineer  call and do some work.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

In that case the engineer may have done something wrong or missed something (or you may simply have some kind of line issue), either way it should be worth raising a speed fault: http://faults.plus.net will get you there.

Quote from: chasbro
Is it worth me buying a bt hub?

I'm assuming you have the Plusnet Hub One since that's the only one they've issued that works without a BT modem, that particular device is virtually identical to a BT Homehub 5 (A), there's probaby very little to be gained by changing though many people will recommend using something with a Broadcom chipset, particularly on longer lines.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chasbro
Dabbler

Thanks. Chat yesterday told me it was because I didn't have a bt hub.  Every time I go on chat I'm told some other reason. I have reported the speed problem  they haven't changed the forms for options. Seem to think if you had an engineer then you have a bt hub. I had an engineer and a hub 1.
Sick of chat and being fobbed off.
chasbro
Dabbler

Hi
Any plusnet staff that can look at this please.  i really think that I am still on ADSL..    Anyone know how I find out?
Thanks
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Chasbro,
I've done some checks and your line is definitely provisioned on Fibre, the speed estimes currently show between 7.1 and 13.1
I'd suggest getting this checked by our tech team once more
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT Broadband Availability Checker gives two ranges of estimated speeds - is the 7-13 range the higher one or the lower one?
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Those are from the FTTC Range A (Clean) as this was done as a managed install, those are the ranges Openreach expect the line to operate under
chasbro
Dabbler

Thanks Everyone.
I will now go back on chat and not let them fob me off.