cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from fibre unlimited to Fibre unlimited extra

petros32

Upgrade from fibre unlimited to Fibre unlimited extra

We recently changed our connection as described above. The speeds are good 65/66; 17 Mbs. but below the estimated and guaranteed minimum:

"Download: 71 - 72Mb
Upload: 17 - 18Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 67.3Mb"=

Plusnet email.

I have been told that the speed coming in the house is 71. We have a Deco M5 mesh-system plugged into the Plusnet Hub to spread the wifi-signal. Over the ten day trial period tests have been carried out, using both Ethernet and Wifi. The system has been tested with and without the mesh-system plugged in. The speed has remained at 65/66. We live on Abbey Lane, near Woodseats. I've raised a ticket about this problem. I was wondering, if any contributors to the Forum had further thoughts or suggestions. Is there any way, that I will be able to access the 71 Mbs. speed. The last person I spoke to at telephone support seemed unsure as to what the way forward might be. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

3 REPLIES 3
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Upgrade from fibre unlimited to Fibre unlimited extra

Hi
I suspect you are comparing the connection speed to the house with the throughput of the connection (via speed tests).
Throughput is always lower than the connection speed.
There are some overheads in the packeting of IP data.
If you want more details : https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
Regards
Richard
petros32

Thank you very much. I didn't know this, so the link that you posted is very useful. Is there any way to improve the 'throughput' speed', please? A lot of the speediest readings were taken in the same room as the router and the router is very close to the phone socket.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @petros32 

Your throughput speed is at the maximum for the modem's synch rate with the cabinet.

The only way to get higher throughput is by increasing the synch rate.

Your synch rate is above the minimum guaranteed speed so a line fault is unlikely.

I think you will probably have to accept that the speeds are as good as they can be.

Regards

Richard