Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from fiber to fiber extra - no change after order completed

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Upgrade from fiber to fiber extra - no change after order completed

Hi! 

So the community was very helpful last time I spoke with you all, and I thought I would see if you could help me (or staff could, anybody really) with this problem.

As the title suggests, I've upgraded from fiber to fiber extra, and while my house is older, which limits me from getting the full extra package, I am still able to, according to plusnet support, get approx 55 down and 11.4 up, precisely that. I made the upgrade over a week ago, and he had said it would be live last Monday. It was an error on his part to say that, it was all cleared up, they said it would be live within the week and I would get a notification to say so.

Never got a notification, so rang them today - this is after extensive speedtests to see if anything had changed, i've collected a good few, they're pretty much all between 29-33 down and 7-8ish up. The fella on the phone said that when the extra kicked in, that even though my house limits me from the full package, I would still max out what I could do with the extra package, with the minimum ranging from 35 and up, and similar for the upload. So I clarified with him "do you mean that I would be see the upload maxing out at approx 11.4?" he confirmed this, I've yet to see it hit 9, never mind max out. And the download is the same. To clearly put it, this is the same set of speeds I was getting on the normal fiber package I had: http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6731089752 here's an example, all the tests are the same though.

Now I've put in the new router they gave me, reset everything, connected an ethernet cable directly to the router. None of this changes the outcome. 

I logged into the router, to see what the connection setting was sitting at, and I saw what you see in the picture attached.

Not sure what else to do here. I've tried it on a few computers to make sure it's not isolated to one direct ethernet connection. Tried their cables, tried mine, I've plenty of good quality ones, and their new ones should be too. So I'm currently now paying for extra while still receiving my old package. The fella said the package order was completed on the 19th, so really as of today, something should have changed. I get there can be instability in the first 10 days, but it's not unstable, it's under performing, massively. Any help/guidance on this would be appreciated because I feel like I'm being given the run around by contradicting and confused plusnet support staff each time I ring up. Anybody who has had something similar happen, I'd be grateful to hear your advice.

17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Upgrade from fiber to fiber extra - no change after order completed

If you click on the Troubleshooting tab, and then the Help Desk tab, and post the results making sure you hide your username, password and other sensitive information, we may be able to provide some more help.

Getting maximum speeds can be tricky, and require you to have the optimum internal wiring. Do you have a filtered master socket? Have you tried a connection from there? Have you done a quiet line test - dial17070 from a corded phone and make sure your line has no noise.

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Hi Mustrum, first of all thank for the hasty reply, I really appreciate it. 

So here is the information you asked for, with my sensitive details removed:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated 23/10/17
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:10:18
6. Data rate: 9689 / 34993
7. Maximum data rate: 9800 / 40541
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 8.9
9. Line attenuation: 28.8 / 22.5
10. Signal attenuation: 28.0 / 20.0
11. Data sent/received: 19.5 MB / 117.4 MB

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default

23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

As for your questions about a filtered master socket. I'm honestly a bit out of my depth, and I don't know what that is, but they did give me this filter to plus into the socket:

(see picture attached)

And I run from the "ADSL modem" socket on that, to the router. I don't have a corded phone funnily enough, so I can't currently do that test I'm afraid. I feel a bit stupid asking but, I've been paying for fiber all this time, does fiber run through ADSL? Or am I entirely wrong on that front? If it doesn't, am I actually on fiber at all? I've been on a fiber package long enough, but I guess now I'm having a "hold on a minute" moment, though again.. I'm probably quite wrong!

Thanks again for your help.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Looking at the info you have provided, then I don't see too much wrong, That said, your speeds may be able to be improved. 

When FTTC was first available, BT Openreach used to come out, instal a filtered Master Socket, and make sure the modem/router was connected to it. It seems you missed that bit. as your last pic is an old style socket, which might be a master, or one of your extensions.

Do you have any other sockets? Are they fitted with filters?

Do have a look at My Mate Vince's improve your broadband speed video, which will hopefully help explain some of the things you may be able to do to get a bit of extra speed.

Also note, that any speeds ISP;s quote are sync speeds, speed tests are not so reliable, as they depend on lots of variables, other stuff going on your network and PC/laptop, and even other people doing speed tests at the sme time!

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

I guess I just expected the package to be upholding the "minimum speeds of 38.9" at the very least, never mind the upload rate not being higher than previous. 

I think the main issue is that it's not just unreliable, it's under performing consistently. There's no instability, it's just not meeting the new speeds they said I would get, which kept my house cable restrictions in mind when quoting those speeds.

I seem to have an ADSL filter going into what I assume is an Openreach master socket.

So with that in mind, am I having my fiber speed limited by the equipment that Plusnet have given me for it?

This was the fresh order they sent out when I ordered the fiber extra package. It's the same as my old router they gave me (the plus one hub) but has a fresh warranty.

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Anybody from Plusnet or otherwise able to share a similar experience or explain this? The engineer installed whatever into the master socket as far as I can remember when we moved here a year and a half ago. I'm just wanting to know why i'm being told the line has upgraded but the router details say otherwise. As do the speeds.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Unfortunately PlusNet have not responded on this thread, they seem to be concentrating on support via social media platforms recently. 

There are a couple of checks you can do which could help to establish if you have been upgraded and what speeds you could get. Put your phone number in this checker to get speed estimates for your line

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Use this speedtest to get info on actual speeds and IP profiles.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Don't bother about all the red text, just run the test and then click on the "Further Diagnostics" button. This should give your IP profile figures, if the upload says 20Mbps you are on the 80/20 product. Your download speed may have been capped at 35Mbps prior to any upgrade happening, this will need PlusNet support to rectify. As your upload sync is below 10Mbps it is unlikely that you will get an improved upload speed. The above tests should help clarify things.

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Thanks for a reply RealAleMadrid - I've posted my findings from the two links you put in screenshots. 

Let me know what you think. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies for the delayed response on here from staff, and sorry to hear you're having speed problems.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync at a downstream sync rate of 35mbps and an upstream sync rate of 9.5mbps, which is within the estimates on the BT DSL Checker [from your screenshot] so the speed is on target.

Your speedtest of 33mbps and 8mbps download/upload speed respectively is what I'd expect for the sync rates above.

From looking at the speed history, I understand that you have had higher in the past, around 50mbps. Line tests aren't identifying the cause of this, but it's possible due to cross talk which is other connections being added to the cabinet.

As sync rate is currently [just] within estimates it's unlikely our suppliers will investigate this as a fault I'm afraid. To try to rule out any internal wiring issues, have you tried plugging your router into test socket as explained here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf From the op's router stats the download SNR margin is nearly 3db above the normal 6dB level, I suspect the line is banded at 35Mbps, could you check this with a GEA test. Also the sync speed is just below 35Mbps which is below the low estimate for a clean line so theoretically a speed fault could be raised with your suppliers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like I missed this. Sad

Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

As the line speed is 0.6mbps below the estimates, and the line is banded, if you report the fault at http://faults.plus.net when your router is in the test socket, letting us know on here we can get this pushed to an engineer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Hi there @Gandalf - I did as you suggested and ran speed tests from the test socket, here were my findings:

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
Download Speed (Mbps): 32.48
Upload Speed (Mbps): 8.38
Ping Latency (ms): 28.50

I ran a couple of tests on Oookla as well

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6739681399

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6739696280

I'll report the fault in the morning and proceed from there as I can't tonight. Thanks for the continued support @Gandalf & @RealAleMadrid !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all
Keep us posted!
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Just a thought, has your sync and max data rates changed much since you are plugged into the test socket? Details are in the Help Desk tab.

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice @Mustrum - here are the findings from the Helpdesk tab: not sure where the sync part is, but i can see max data rate there, and by comparison to the previous.. it does seem to be slightly more in the test socket?

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 23/10/17
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 15:14:02
6. Data rate: 9995 / 34993
7. Maximum data rate: 13191 / 51767
8. Noise margin: 6.8 / 13.6
9. Line attenuation: 26.7 / 21.9
10. Signal attenuation: 26.6 / 20.7
11. Data sent/received: 41.7 GB / 23.5 GB
12. Broadband username:  
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address:  
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0