cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Plusnet Unlimited Broadband to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra

turnip

Upgrade from Plusnet Unlimited Broadband to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra

Hi there,

I am considering upgrading from my current Plusnet Unlimited Broadband to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

My current Modem/router is quite old and doesn't support VDSL, so in the first instance I was going to request the Plusnet Hub One as part of the upgrade (with a view to perhaps getting myself something a bit nicer later on).

Anyway my understanding is that even after Plusnet switch over my service to fibre at the exchange, my current ADSL broadband will continue to work using my old modem/router until I plug the Hub One in and start using fibre.

Is that correct ? I am just a bit twitchy about losing my broadband for any period of time !

TIA.

Turnip.

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Upgrade from Plusnet Unlimited Broadband to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra

Hello there.

Anyway my understanding is that even after Plusnet switch over my service to fibre at the exchange, my current ADSL broadband will continue to work using my old modem/router until I plug the Hub One in and start using fibre.

Unfortunately not. When the fibre work is completed at the cabinet, your ADSL service will stop working. If you then setup your new router from us/a VDSL modem router at that point you should be back online once it starts up.

It's worth noting that on occasion it can take anytime up to midnight on the day before the fibre service activates, but from my experience that's not very often as it usually works just when the physical work is completed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

not quite

ideally you should receive the hub1 before the changeover and then it should be seamless but if you don't then the adsl will stop at changeover but you won't be able to receive the fibre so no broadband

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@turnip wrote:

Not quite.  If Plusnet supply your Hub one early in the upgrade process, then you can install it and use it for ADSL service, then on switch over day (if all goes to plan) you will have a short (?) break in service whilst the engineers do the swap at your local cabinet and Plusnet 'activate' the new service.

Ooops?  @Oldjim beat me to the post this time!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

ideally you should receive the hub1 before the changeover and then it should be seamless but if you don't then the adsl will stop at changeover but you won't be able to receive the fibre so no broadband

I should've thought of this. It'd indeed be more seamless if you setup the new router before the switchover.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet