Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from ADSL to VDSL

slime-uk
Dabbler

Upgrade from ADSL to VDSL

Hi,

My (step) Dad is thinking of finally taking the plunge and switching from plus.net ADSL over to FTTC with plus.net. His phone line is currently with BT but I’ve said why not just switch to plus.net for that as well.

His master socket is in the hall and the study is upstairs. ADSL is currently using an extension phone socket and a filter.

I’ve been on FTTC years and obviously how it was done for me is probably old but at the time I ordered BT had to do the install and provided the BT OR modem. And it had to be at the master socket.

Please can someone let me know their thoughts on how it goes today? Is it a wires only install these days?

Does the VDSL modem need to be at the master? Do they still provide two boxes or is it all in a new bt hub type device (and is it any good?).

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Upgrade from ADSL to VDSL

Be aware that if you do both upgrade and telephone switch at the same time they may go to BT as separate orders and one won't be actioned until the other is complete. I have read of this causing issues.

The rule still applies that the modem/router should be located at the master socket. You can try it on your extension but be aware that speed may be compromised. If you can, leave it in the hall and swap the telephone extension for an Ethernet one. If need be you can install a cheap Wireless Access Point in thestudy.

These days Plusnet will send you a Hub One which you self install, that is plug in, yourself. This is a combined modem and router with reasonable performance.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@slime-uk

If you look at the following it'll provide you with estimated speeds available for the phone number which will give an indication if it's worth up-grading.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It's always preferred that the router is connected to the Master socket as this helps reduce interference from internal wiring. However, it should work on an extension - it'll just be a question of whether or not there's any performance hit. If you ever complain of speed the first thing they ask is - is the router plugged into the Master.

PlusNet supply a re-badged BT HomeHub5 - you simply connect it your self. As the internet connection is already from PlusNet it can be plugged in as soon as it's received.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Nowadays fibre installations are self-install, which means that the engineering work is just carried out at the cabinet. We'd then send out the Hub One, which is a combined modem/router he'd set up at the master telephone socket.

While the service may work at an extension socket, as Brian's said you might get performance issues.

From experience my parents had ADSL until a few years ago when fibre came to their village and the router was always in an extension socket so we left it as it was when the fibre was installed. This caused some really odd intermittent performance problems, though it may not be the same for your step dad.

In my case, the house's telephone wiring was (unbeknownst to me) star-wired which is an ancient form of wiring not designed to carry a broadband signal with no real master telephone socket present, so a new one had to be installed.

As Baldrick1's suggested, if the master socket isn't in a convenient place you could try buying 3rd party equipment like a wireless access point or a powerline adapter.

If your step dad wants to bring his phone over to us as well as upgrading to fibre, we would need to process the orders one at a time, as we can't transfer a phone line and modify an existing broadband service simultaneously.

However, we'd normally keep track of this and place the 2nd order once the 1st has completed. If he wants to go ahead I'd recommend him giving us a call on 0800 013 2632 or going through the product change online here.

If he needs any assistance following upgrading feel free to PM me his username and I'll be happy to help.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi

Re extending from the master socket to the modem in the study.

I recently moved from adsl, and the extension, which worked fine on adsl, didn't work at all on vdsl.

I had to get the correct cable and now it works perfectly.

Just a thought

Search for. cw1308 telephone cable

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did exactly this for my mum a few weeks ago (ie. transfer phone from BT and upgrade Plusnet ADSL to FTTC).

The phone transferred fairly painlessly (altho' needed to nudge Plusnet to get phone services activated - CLI & Call Protect).

Also Plusnet then needed another nudge to get the broadband upgrade initiated. The broadband switchover was seamless with no need for any engineer visit or separate modem etc. etc. She retained her existing ADSL throughout and didn't have any internet downtime.

Not ideal, but the staff in these forums were fab. All is working now, except...

...I'd prefer mum's router to be connected to the master socket (but she won't have the aesthetically challenged router anywhere within eyesight!) so consequently it's plugged into an ancient extension. She's aware she's getting the odd disconnect every day or two, and probably reduced speeds, but she's okay with this compromise (despite my reservations) as it's a vast improvement over her old 2.5Mb ADSL - cheaper too (after renegotiating her contract)!

I hope it all works well for your dad.

Baldrick1

@toggie101

why not treat your mum and go onto Ebay and buy her a Smarthub 6. They are far better looking and you can either dim or switch off the light. I paid less than £20 including postage for the last one I bought. You will find setting instructions on the Router board.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero

@slime-uk @toggie101

If the extension is the preferred choice you can look at the wiring to possibly eliminate some problems. If you have a nose around on-line you'll find any number of sites explaining how extensions are wired. If it's an older house with a Master socket you should ensure the Bell wire is disconnected at both ends. Any unused extensions should be disconnected at the Master (if they wire back to it - many set ups are daisy chained).

Then consider replacing the face plates on both the Master and the extension. When I had an ADSL service I installed the following. Easy to do with the right tool (Krone punch) but you need to ensure you pass the internet signal through the Master.

https://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

https://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

No guarantees this would make a difference but it might if you're having problems. There are other suppliers of face plates.

Brian

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@bmc

The spec on those items includes

Fully compatible with ADSL, MaxDSL, ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+

Will this work with VDSL?

bmc
Hero

@dws1900

Somewhere deep in the grey matter I seem to recall the ADSL face plates work with VDSL but I wouldn't guarantee this. Did find the following thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Nation-Filter-suitable-for-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/97...

Brian

Baldrick1

There is no doubt that filtered faceplates are better than using dangly fiters because phone extension cables are then filtered. If dangly filters are used the extension wiring is unfiltered, connected to the incoming pair they are inviting the introduction of noise.

However, care is needed with respect to their selection. Older ADSL filters no not necessarily cover the extended frequency range needed for VDSL so should be avoided. Additionally there are two types depending on the faceplate. The older type is held to the back box by two screws, which need to be removed for access. Newer types are clipped on. They are not interchangeable so it's important to look at the existing master socket to see which you need.

The following links give a possible source. Note that Solwise do both ADSL and VDSL versions.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/

Moderator and Customer

slime-uk
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting read and useful. It’s good to see that what I said is still relevant (master is best) but good to read that it can be done at an extension too. I had suggested that it was now a wires only install rather than engineer and that I didn’t think two boxes were required any more. I’ll ultimately leave the decision with him but it’s a no brainier to me but it’s not my connection or money!

I already bought him a Draytek router but it will be no good for VDSL by the way!

Thanks again.
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@slime-uk

Hi

What model of Draytek did you buy?

slime-uk
Dabbler

I bought him a 2820 I think a few years back which he uses for ADSL. But now he will need a 2860 or newer if he switches to FTTC.
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@slime-uk

I use a 2860, works ok, but not cheap.

You could put a modem on WAN2, may be cheaper, but an extra box.

The PN router is ok, but does not give the level of monitoring the network I need.

Re extensions, my property only has one OR socket, so I extended it with a 10m cable to the office, rj11 each end, about 10m in length, less that 15 GBP. The faceplate I purchased was vdsl , think it was a solwize.

The original 'adsl' extension cable, there was about 0.5db attenuation, did not work with vdsl, so it was replaced with a  cw1308 cable.

You need to check any internal wiring will support vdsl.