cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade confusion copper to fibre

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Upgrade confusion copper to fibre

A friend has recently switched from PN copper to PN Fibre. He was sent a new modem router and his version of the PN to hi conversation suggested he would need to type in a new username into the modem once the fibre was activated. Once activation date was passed, he struggled to work out how to do that, such that I spent quite some time on the phone trying to help him, then eventually ended up having to go around ad try to sort it out myself.

The first thing I did, was to run a speedtest of some sort, offered on an IP of 192.168.1.xxx. Where it came from I don't know, but the result was 1.5Mbs down. Strange thought I, that is much slower than his original copper. I then spend ages trying to do in the modem settings what he had suggested PN suggested would need to be done, to enable the fibre connection.

The fibre username seemed to be the same as what was already in, but.... 1.5Mbs seemed wrong so something must be amiss.

I then tried a search for another speedtest and tried several. One I found and tried showed his speed as 27Mbs (via wifi), so my assumption is that he is actually now on the promised fibre and no changes needed to be made other than swapping over the modem / router for the new one. Am I correct please?

3 REPLIES 3
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Upgrade confusion copper to fibre

Hi @harrym1byt

Thanks for getting in touch and for offering your friend assistance getting up and running.

Providing your friend kept the same account during his upgrade from ADSL to fibre, the router would not need to be altered - even if a new router was dispatched, it would usually be pre-configured to work with either service.

Without looking at the account, I would guess that the activation of the fibre was potentially delayed or that the switch over was in progress when you ran the initial speed test. Everything sounds absolutely fine now as you've described it and no further action should be required.

Happy to assist if anything else crops up.

Best wishes,

Dave

harrym1byt
Rising Star

No, it was some weird speed test from I know not where, on a Chromebook which I am not familiar with. I was in hospital for several days, so I wasn't able to give him any assistance during the switch. It was just that he had got it in mind that he had to do something at his end, to get the full fibre speed. He was even more confused when he got the switchover email and it didn't explain what he had to do - obviously wouldn't if he didn't need to do anything 🙂  

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @harrym1byt

We always recommend using this speed test via Internet Explorer and Ethernet cable but can appreciate this may not always be possible.

Like you rightly said, if any configuration changes are require when moving from ADSL to Fibre, these will be detailed in any emails we send or instructions that come with the equipment. If it is our Hub One it operates the same way on both ADSL & Fibre.

Feel free to let us know if you or your friend require any further assistance.  Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional