cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Slow down.

jerrybot
Hooked

Upgrade Slow down.

Its bad enough living with a poor FTTC connection (1.5KM from green box) but then to keep getting emails saying my service is going to get upgraded to 9.5Mb/s up, now one saying it has been upgraded along with a price increase. The reality is it has gone form the paltry 1Mb/s to arond 5-600Kb/s, so that is a downgrade then.

Am I the only one to see a decrease in speeds or is this common for those of use that live in an Openreach urban wasteland?

And Plusnet, please stop sending me emails promising that my service is going to be improved or upgraded unless you are going to put a green cabinet outside my house or install FTTP because it will never get any better and all you do is annoy yoru customer with this false hope.

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Upgrade Slow down.

Thanks for the feedback on how that's been communicated. 

If your speeds are that slow over a wired connection that is an issue and is something we can help with so I'd urge you to report a fault: http://faults.plus.net

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jerrybot
Hooked

When I first moved to this house I got 15-16mb/s up and 1Mb/s down. I went through the whole check up with Openreach engineers and that was all I can get.
Overtime it seems to have gone down and is now at 13Mb/s down and at best 600Kb/s up,
The up load speed is noticable poor and the latency at times is game breaking. I put this down to being so far from my connected green cabinet, although it is not the nearest one.
So unless Plusnet can get Openreach to put a new cabinet within 200 meters of my house (something they seem unwilling to do on new housing estates let alone old ones, I doubt myself and the 100 odd other houses in my vincinty will ever benefit from any thing faster.
The other option is go to Mobile as I get a good 4G signal and faster downloads, however our data usage would make FTTPoD look cheap, not that it is an option any more.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Unfortunately we have no influence on Openreach when it comes to moving cabinets.

Over time they do build cabinets closer to properties and then move lines over so that further away lines can get better speeds but you'd be best off contacting Openreach directly to see what their plans are.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jerrybot
Hooked

So you are a two bit company reselling a product supplied by a third party over which you have no control?

Thus is the reason we have poor, pacthy, inefectual, intermittant broadband provision in this country.

Why is it not a planning requirement that every new housing development has a new FTTC cabinet installed? Because the regulator has no balls and planning department no idea and thus the UK falls ever further behind and BT feathers its nest with Goverment hand outs and delivers nothing in return.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jerrybot wrote:

So you are a two bit company reselling a product supplied by a third party over which you have no control?

Why is it not a planning requirement that every new housing development has a new FTTC cabinet installed?

I think you need to reflect on your comments here.  ISP's can only deliver a service over an installed network so your dissatisfaction needs to be directed to OFCOM, or if you feel they are not responsive go to your MP.

Venting at Plusnet (or any other ISP) will have no direct impact.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jerrybot
Hooked

OFCOM are toothless and pointless.

i have a contract with Plusnet who resell services from Openreach who are still a subsidery of Plusnet's owner BT, so my broadband issues are their responsibility.and they should deal with Openreach.

They sell me "Superfast" broadband that is anything other than super or fast. The Advertising Standards agency should not allow the term to be used but they don't seem to care, if we were talking selling Farraris with the performance of a mid range Fiesta depending on where you lived i would imagine there would be a different response.

Plusnet have sent me several emails telling me how fortunate I am that they have upgraded my upload speed to 9Mb/s (not open reach or anyone else) when in reality it has at best not changed at all (<1Mb/s) and in fact appears to have actully slowed down (now at 600Mb/s) since the upgrade.

I have spoken to my local MP and local councillors about making it a planning condition for one of, if not all of, the many local housing developments to have new FTTC cabinets installed and all the houses locally get relocated to that so they get some benefit but they have no interest.

If I complain to the ISP just maybe they can put pressure on their "supplier" to actully fix or improve the situation because no one else is interested and i have no contract of supply with them so way to deal direct.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Unfortunately we don’t have any more ways to query this with Openreach than what you can do as a customer.

If it helps, here’s a formwize you can fill out to contact Openreach directly about this: https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jerrybot
Hooked

If you bought a car from Ford and they told you contact their fuel pump supplier to get it fixed would you think that was the correct way to handle things or would you feel it is Fords job to fix the problem?

I am a Plusnet customer, Openreach are your supplier, I have no contract with Openreach, if I did I would not need you, so the question is what is the purpose of Plusnet and the other ISPs what do they bring to the table? Are they just pointless middlemen? Do they actually want their supplier to improve anything or are they just happy to take the money?

Ofcom defines BB speeds as

Standard broadband has download speeds of less than 30Mbps

Superfast broadband has download speeds between 30Mbps and 300Mbps

Ultrafast broadband has download speeds of greater than 300Mbps

So although I only get a standard service, I pay (and I assume Plusnet pay Openreach) for a Superfast connection, which by Ofcoms definition would be miselling at best.

Perhaps if everyone paid for what was delivered rather than the tech used there may be some incentive for Openreach to actually improve the situation. but this would need the likes of Plusnet and other ISPs to hold their supplier to account rather than accepting the status quo.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I’m afraid it’s not our place to advise Openreach where to invest in infrastructure.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet