Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating my router

Jazbur
Grafter

Updating my router

Hi,
I had my fibre installed today and i'm currently using the free router.  I have also bought the Asus Rt-66n to replace it.
Everything is working fine atm, so I am a little reluctant to change anything in case I muck it up Undecided
If anyone could help with a few queries I would be most grateful.
1. Is it best to let the line settle for a few days before I swap over the router?
2. Do I need to turn the open reach modem off before I connect the Asus router, as I was told never to turn the modem off as it could mess with my line.
3. Does anyone have a step by step guide how to swap the router over, bearing in mind I am not very techie.
Thanks very much, Jason
3 REPLIES 3
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Updating my router

1. Is it best to let the line settle for a few days before I swap over the router?

Should not matter at all :Its the BT modem that does the connecting
2, Do I need to turn the open reach modem off before I connect the Asus router, as I was told never to turn the modem off as it could mess with my line.

No leave it turned on.. But Nothing drasic will happen if you do turn off the BT Modem. Just leave it switched off for ten minutes or so before restarting it
3. Does anyone have a step by step guide how to swap the router over, bearing in mind I am not very techie.

Asus web site says  "ASUSWRT Dashboard UI for Easy Setup, Signal Monitoring, and Network Application Control"
so, it should not be rocket science , but you will need to configre it with yhour PN user name and password manually. MAke sure you know what these are. If it does not work at first you can always revrt to the PN supplied hardware
Jazbur
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for help, very much appreciated.  I'll give it a go at the weekend then, hopefully the Asus should give a little boost to speed and Wi-FI coverage.  Having read a lot of bad reviews about the free router I was expecting the worst, but I must say the little fella has suprised me.  It's actually giving me a stronger signal upstairs than my old Netgear did, so it can't be too bad.  Let's see how the Asus does  :).
TheSanctuary
Dabbler

Hi Jazbur,
How did it go with the Asus router?
Just wondering about doing the same with a new Plusnet connection, so that we can use the AsusWRT parental controls.
Thanks