cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Plusnet connection settings for ASUS DSL-AC68U?

Wibble

Updated Plusnet connection settings for ASUS DSL-AC68U?

Hi everyone

I've just swapped out an Openreach modem and ASUS RTN66U router for an all-in-one model/router solution.

I seem to have problems connecting though.

The router tells me I have an internet connection but all it will go to is this error page:

http://62.6.38.125/index.html

So I'm thinking I've made a mistake with the setup somewhere. I did let it find the settings automatically to start with but when I got the error I found some guides on this forum and on Thinkbroadband. They are all quite old now though, 2014 or 2015.

I'm wondering, is there an updated guide anywhere of all the connection settings I need to have? I can't seem to find a recent one.

Thanks very much!

*edited title to make it more specific*

6 REPLIES 6
dfunked
Grafter

Re: Updated Plusnet settings for ASUS DSL-AC68U?

I'd say download the latest firmware for it and apply that, then do a factory reset (hold the reset pin button in the back for 30 secs)
You should just need to choose your ISP and put in your username (xxx@plusdsl.net)
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Updated Plusnet connection settings for ASUS DSL-AC68U?

Assuming from the Forum title that you're actually on Fibre (VDSL), these are the two most useful settings screens; as dfunked states, you would be well advised to upgrade to the latest firmware, then carry out a hard reset and input everything from scratch

Wibble

Thank you both for the replies and very useful information!

I'll update the firmware right now!

Btw, yes, I am on fibre.

Wibble

Well I'm pleased to say that I'm online with the new modem/router!

Its been a bit of a weird one getting things to work, we (my partner and I) had to change a few bits which I can update on tomorrow as she has more idea than I do.

However, one odd thing we've found is our speed is much slower than we expected.

Usually we can get about 25-27mbps, but we've been hitting between 11-15mbps.

I thought this would just be the line being retrained until I did a speed test over wifi and it was at 24mbps.

So for some reason we're losing going on 50% of our speed over an ethernet connection!

I can't understand that and will be testing tomorrow afternoon transferring from PC to PC on the network to see if it's network related or if it's just the internet connection.

Not the best either way!

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Smiley

dfunked
Grafter

Fairly unlikely to be an internal issue, I always get full gigabit speeds from mine anyway... No harm in testing though.
I'd say your issue is similar to the one I have at the moment - the constant reboots and changing routers over have caused DLM to kick in and lower the speed of your line.

If you go to system log (IIRC) on the left and then change to the DSL log tab it should show your current sync rate. If this is lower than it should be then you'll either have to wait for DLM to realise there's nothing wrong with your line and start increasing the speed again, or you'll need to log a fault.

/edit
Sorry, just saw that it worked fine over WiFi... Very odd!
Still probably worth checking the DSL log page and familiarising yourself with it, but you'll definitely need to do a spot of testing